Discuss Can someone help? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Phil Griffiths

so currently doing my level 3 diploma and have this question I'm stuck on can anyone help?

a radial circuit is protected by 20A type B circuit breaker and is wired using 2.5mm2 70C thermoplastic single core live conductors with 1.5mm CPC to a length of 28mm in steel trunking. ambient temp is 20C supply is 230V single phase TNCS system. Ze & prospective fault current is recorded at 0.1 ohms and 2.3KA.

- already worded out R1 and R2 for the circuit which is 0.546.
- NEED to find - value of short circuit at end point of the circuit?
- AND will the circuit breaker disconnect within the required time under fault conditions.?

Cheers

i assume you mean the value of short circuit current\/ if so, ohm's law.V =230V , R = 0.546, so what is I ?

then read off the graph for time/current for the 20A type B breaker in app. 3 of BS7671 and see what the time to break is for that calculated current.

i assume you mean the value of short circuit current\/ if so, ohm's law.V =230V , R = 0.546, so what is I ?

then read off the graph for time/current for the 20A type B breaker in app. 3 of BS7671 and see what the time to break is for that calculated current.

thanks dude, so heres what i have so far, for a 20A type b breaker from table 3A4 i got 100A. so .. 230 divided by 100x0.546 = 4.212 this sound about right ?? and will this disconnect the circuit breaker within the required time? thanks again

You have your "I" calculation wrong.
I=V÷R
Calculate this first then refer Figure 3A4.
You will also need to factor in the value of Ze.
I=V÷(R+Ze)

Last edited:
what westwood10 means is that your calc. for Isc is V/R, where V =230 and R = 0.546 + 0.1..... ( R1+R2 + Ze). i forgot the Ze, but then I'm 70 and entitled to a bit of senile dementia coz i've earned it and nobody's going to take it away. me away, yet. :D

You have your "I" calculation wrong.
I=V÷R
Calculate this first then refer Figure 3A4.
You will also need to factor in the value of Ze.
I=V÷(R+Ze)

right ok silly mistake, so heres what i have done so far, I = 230 Divided by 0.546 + 0.1 = 421.35. Looking up the information in figure 3A4, for a 20A type B circuit breaker the prospective current is 100A does this mean the RCD will continually trip due to high demand? thanks, really appreciate it!

no. at 100A fault current level, the breaker will trip within 0.4 secs, but you have 421A, so it will trip even quicker. so, basically any fault current above 100A will comply with BS7671. bear in mind that the breaker will only trip once, as once tripped, it will not reset until the fault has cleared. do not confuse fault current ( dead short ) with over current ( current greater than the circuit is designed for,but not a short. ).

Still calculating it wrong. The short circuit value of a line/earth fault is dictated by the combination of your 0.546 (which is R1+R2) and Ze. This basically gives you the value of Zs for the circuit. The magnitude of fault current is dictated by this resistance(Zs). In other words if you get a live to earth fault you need sufficient current to flow to disconnect the circuit, this is your "earth fault loop path".
Ignore the 20A device and Figure 3A4 for now and calculate your fault current.
I=V÷(0.546+Ze).

no. at 100A fault current level, the breaker will trip within 0.4 secs, but you have 421A, so it will trip even quicker. so, basically any fault current above 100A will comply with BS7671. bear in mind that the breaker will only trip once, as once tripped, it will not reset until the fault has cleared. do not confuse fault current ( dead short ) with over current ( current greater than the circuit is designed for,but not a short. ).

thanks very much mate!

Still calculating it wrong. The short circuit value of a line/earth fault is dictated by the combination of your 0.546 (which is R1+R2) and Ze. This basically gives you the value of Zs for the circuit. The magnitude of fault current is dictated by this resistance(Zs). In other words if you get a live to earth fault you need sufficient current to flow to disconnect the circuit, this is your "earth fault loop path".
Ignore the 20A device and Figure 3A4 for now and calculate your fault current.
I=V÷(0.546+Ze).

right ok, you have lost me now if I'm honest, don't forget I'm still learning haha, i have a fault current at 2.3KA and a Ze of 0.1 ohms, do i apply the 2.3 KA to the equation? sorry for my knowledge

I am studying for my L3 NVQ Diploma and we were doing the same sort of exercises the other day.

We made reference to BS7671 table 41.3, which gives you the maximum acceptable Zs values for the circuit breakers to operate in an 0.4s disconnection time. When looking at one protective device this saves looking at characteristic curves.

These values are for 70 degree C operation, so you need to apply a multiplier for the R1+R2 calculation to change your 20 deg C values to 70 deg C values. Look at OSG Table I3.

The earth fault current (not short circuit) in Amps for the end of the circuit can be calculated by dividing the nominal voltage to earth (U0) by the calculated Zs.

no.that fault curren of 2.3kA is at the origin i.e. 230/Ze. at the end of your circuit, you have an extra 0.546 oms to add to the 0.1 Ze, so the fault current will be lower, due to the extra resistance. aw wetie said, Ipf = V/ ( Ze + (R1+R2), so it's 230/ (0.1+0.546) = 230/0.646 = 356A.

Have you been shown the principles of automatic disconnection of supply or the earth fault loop path.

You have Ze and you have R1+R2
Ipf at the end of the circuit (not normally considered in calculation) is Uo/Zs.
Zs = Ze+(R1+R2)
Zs at ambient temperature may corrected to Zs at Line maximum permitted operating temperature by dividing by 0.8.
Alternatively maximum Zs for a 20A circuit breaker to BSEN60898 as given in table 41.3 in BS7671 can be corrected to ambient temperature by multiplying by 0.8 (chapter 14 BS7671), this will give you the values of Zs as given in the on site guide.

So long as the Zs for the circuit is less than the tabulated values for a 20A BSEN60898 then the circuit breaker will disconnect in the required time.

View attachment 35140

I feel the op is not understanding why the question is being asked or the theory behind ASD.

as i read the OP, it's a radial circuit 28m long. so that's 28m from origin to load. maybe you were thinking of a RFC?

Reply to Can someone help? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock