Discuss Can you earth to ground rod with bigger earth cable than the tails ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pipunch

Quick one.

Tails are 10mm. Earthing cable from rod to earthing block inside the CU is 16mm.

Where i am, we have the tails in, everything RCB protected and then the earthing cables from the circuits/appliances etc into the earthing block. On my CU, the earthing block is a bank of 'quick connection' terminals that take 1.5-2.5mm cables, and then right next to them, we have a small bank which takes up to 16mm.

The spark at the wholesalers has just told me that with my grounding rod (you have to do it yourself here, not the responsibility of EDF) i have to use 25mm bare copper from the rod to the exterior 'barrette de coupure' which goes on the exterior wall and connects the 25mm bare copper to 16mm shielded earthing cable.

So everything will go:

Rod -> 25mm bare copper -> connection barrette -> 16mm earthing cable -> earthing bank inside CU -> earth cables out into circuits/appliances etc.

Just checking there is no reason, theoretically, that i can't use 16mm earthing with a 10mm supply.

Oh, and one more thing, the bank on the earthing block which has the 16mm terminals has '14mm ---->' written on it with the arrow pointing at the bank of quick connection terminals. Any idea what this means/is ?

This is my last step before i call my electrician in to condemn/redo/ok my work.

Thanks.

Quick one.

Tails are 10mm. Earthing cable from rod to earthing block inside the CU is 16mm.

Where i am, we have the tails in, everything RCB protected and then the earthing cables from the circuits/appliances etc into the earthing block. On my CU, the earthing block is a bank of 'quick connection' terminals that take 1.5-2.5mm cables, and then right next to them, we have a small bank which takes up to 16mm.

The spark at the wholesalers has just told me that with my grounding rod (you have to do it yourself here, not the responsibility of EDF) i have to use 25mm bare copper from the rod to the exterior 'barrette de coupure' which goes on the exterior wall and connects the 25mm bare copper to 16mm shielded earthing cable.

So everything will go:

Rod -> 25mm bare copper -> connection barrette -> 16mm earthing cable -> earthing bank inside CU -> earth cables out into circuits/appliances etc.

Just checking there is no reason, theoretically, that i can't use 16mm earthing with a 10mm supply.

Oh, and one more thing, the bank on the earthing block which has the 16mm terminals has '14mm ---->' written on it with the arrow pointing at the bank of quick connection terminals. Any idea what this means/is ?

This is my last step before i call my electrician in to condemn/redo/ok my work.

Thanks.
Use the Adiabatic Equation to calculate you earth cable sizes

Use the Adiabatic Equation to calculate you earth cable sizes
I've already got the answer from elsewhere so don't worry about it. I realise i'm not 'in the club' but don't get why there is this elitist air about electricians who can't answer simple questions to the poor lay man. You know full well that a simple yes or no would have sufficed but you had to learn some equation and so i have to? You'd rather have someone who can't afford a spark to GUESS than give them valuable help you cockroach.

I'm sorry i've just wired up a CU on my own for the first time ever and got it right and it didn't take me 5 years earning 30p an hour but such is life.

Thanks for your invaluable help. You're probably all bitter because people are getting wise to paying £200 + call out to get someone like you's to do what is, in reality, outside of your regs and code bullsh*t, very simple. Wire A comes out. Wire B goes in. Wire C goes to earth.

SIMPLE.

Incidentally, my wiring is neater than some of the so-called qualified cowboys whose work i've seen in the past working on domestic and commercial installations. I'll post pics of my work when it's done and OK'd by the local spark, who incidentally wasn't an elusive nob like some of you lot.

Cheers.

This is going to get some people's back up...

Or bless....the op is having a rant. No worries, it'll be all white in the morning!! Especially If it snows again.lol

And for such a simple, wire A comes out and wire B go's in rubbish, why ask a simple question?????

Troll!!

Reply to Can you earth to ground rod with bigger earth cable than the tails ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net