Discuss Can you join Main Protective bonding conductor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

GN3 not a statutory reg
No not at all. Statutes are EAWR H&S Act etc. Following regs as noted by EAWR may provide a defense at law when prosecuted under the acts. Not following regs, GN are not regs, could lead to being in a much weaker postion regards defense at law.

No not at all. Statutes are EAWR H&S Act etc. Following regs as noted by EAWR may provide a defense at law when prosecuted under the acts. Not following regs, GN are not regs, could lead to being in a much weaker postion regards defense at law.

So far as I understand it, not following the wiring regs will mean you are not following one of the above statutory regs and so can be prosecuted. If the "bonding needs to be continuous" practice is neither in the regs nor any of the other statutory regs then we can comfortably forget this and cut as we like

I need to check underground pipe, school boy error!

Does extending a cable to correct location count as new, or is this existing?
I know TN-C-S is treated different..............
All new work has to comply with current edition of bs 7671 so 10mm is the minimum as you are doing alterations/additional works.
Can be argued that if you say installed a new socket but the existing bonding was in 6mm it could be deemed adequate and left alone,but you intend to install bonding to the gas so must comply with bs 7671

Last edited:
So why is it taught in colleges/courses that binding must be 1 continuous length? We covered this again only last week.
GN8 only gives the information that where an equipotential bonding conductor is looped from, say, gas to water services that the conductor should (not must) remain continuous to prevent the chance of disconnection of the water if the gas is disconnected.
This is pure rubbish of course since how likely is it that someone intent on damaging the safety of an installation and ignoring the warning labels will sit there and bother to slowly undo a screw and pull out the cables when they could just cut the conductor in seconds or just remove the clamp entire? However that is only my opinion.
This does mean that in any other case there is no requirement to maintain a continuous conductor and therefore joints are permitted. There are many examples in GN8 where the conductor is not continuous from extraneous conductive part to MET.

not following the wiring regs will mean you are not following one of the above statutory
Close but not quite the exact position. We are required to adhere to statute in any form failure to do so may lead to prosecution. If you do not follow regs you are not therefore breaking the law in the form of statutes. To put it another way regs are not statute or law. You can completely ignore the regulations and you would not be breaking any law at all. As stated if you do follow regs and something goes wrong it can be used as a defense. This is stated in EAWR.
For instance doing an EICR. Limitations must be agreed with the person ordering the work. Regs require all circuit to be tested with a particular set of tests. The client may say well you can't switch off sockets in my machine shop or I will lose £20k per day. Ok a limitation is then agreed. The machine shop burns down. Are you guilty of a crime?

Close but not quite the exact position. We are required to adhere to statute in any form failure to do so may lead to prosecution. If you do not follow regs you are not therefore breaking the law in the form of statutes. To put it another way regs are not statute or law. You can completely ignore the regulations and you would not be breaking any law at all. As stated if you do follow regs and something goes wrong it can be used as a defense. This is stated in EAWR.
For instance doing an EICR. Limitations must be agreed with the person ordering the work. Regs require all circuit to be tested with a particular set of tests. The client may say well you can't switch off sockets in my machine shop or I will lose £20k per day. Ok a limitation is then agreed. The machine shop burns down. Are you guilty of a crime?

If it's just a conversation then I think that won't stand in the dock if it came to that. If you omit from the regs because of customers orders then make them Sign an agreement which makes then agree and understand what is being omitted. Would that be the best way to approach?

Would that be the best way to approach?
Don't forget that all limitations are entered on to the EICR and there is also a box as to who agreed to this, which must be the person ordering the work. Therefore you have the paper trail. I personally would write an email detailing limitations discussed and get written confirmation that was agreed. It is quite commonplace to find that certain circuits cannot be powered down. Where there are critical services or servers etc. Or just business that will not accept down time. However on could try to arrange (at extra cost) out of hours testing which I have often done.

Reply to Can you join Main Protective bonding conductor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net