Discuss can you sort the sockets out . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
had a call from a customer ,I need some sockets sorting out ,yeah not a problem ,turned up to a hotel ,customer takes me to the first room,
can you sort them out ,all the sockets cable tails out of the boxes.
well can you .
did you put the cables in,yes ,now could not make if it was a man or a woman , this is not the only bedroom needs sorting ,goes in to the second bed room .
now started thinking about the three bears .
now looking at the floor board all up in some places .
did you do that has well I asked ,yes , now the she man had started to tell me that on started stripping the outer sheath that the cables was live .
and only realised by putting a tester on it .:eek:
I then asked her got insurance for wiring up your own place .
now your a thinking it is only cables need attaching to the sockets .
and then asked it ,got any rcd for the sockets ,none for feeding the first floor none of the bed rooms being work on ,and had a recent EICR done .:mad:

My My Buzz, we’ve never seen you so worked up and all over a few sockets!
Is it second fix on a new install or has someone nicked all the faceplates?

Similar one myself. Went to a place a month ago, found a drilled into wire, no cpc, in addition to that broken kitchen ring and class 1 fittings (apparently certified). No cpc to class 1 lighting switches. Lights from sockets without downgraded spurs, bare cores on sample, the list goes on. Said to the customer you need a rewire.
They said they need a second opinion, no problem. Call their old sparky up, goes to look at it. No need for a rewire if nothing is buzzing and sparking, the kitchen could do with investigation he did agree however and he’s free January to come look at it.
So they call me back up to take a second look, as it doesn’t actually need a rewire apparently. So I carry out a test on the socket ring main as they are talking about having sockets moved and added. Failed insulation resistance test. Again said I can’t carry out work on this installation, it needs a rewire. They’ve got so much diy wiring about the place with spurs and choc blocks left and right. Just bought the place, I get it’s not great but then.
We will chat to our domestic electrician again and see what he makes of the test results. Please for the love of God, get a rewire sorted by anyone! What can you do? *shrug*

My My Buzz, we’ve never seen you so worked up and all over a few sockets!
Is it second fix on a new install or has someone nicked all the faceplates?
Sounds like the customer thought He/She could do the work themselves to save some readies, found out it's more than just 2 wires, and asked Buzz to sort it, a difficult scenario for our Buzz, know what I would do, but if it's a good customer, well, that's something Buzz will need to think about, whatever you do Buzz good luck Mate, and please use the spell checker.

th
love it .

Must be something to do with hotels and electrical work.

I recently did appliance testing in a hotel and had to fail a few "home made" extension leads. (Metal biscuit tin as an outside enclosure?)
Double socket fitted into wood panelling in the dining room - metal backbox not fixed to the wood, just slides out.
T&E clipped to the ceiling to feed light fitting.... sockets overloaded with cube adaptors...

It seems to be the thing to do everything on the cheap with hotels and pubs etc

had a call from a customer ,I need some sockets sorting out ,yeah not a problem ,turned up to a hotel ,customer takes me to the first room,
can you sort them out ,all the sockets cable tails out of the boxes.
well can you .
did you put the cables in,yes ,now could not make if it was a man or a woman , this is not the only bedroom needs sorting ,goes in to the second bed room .
now started thinking about the three bears .
now looking at the floor board all up in some places .
did you do that has well I asked ,yes , now the she man had started to tell me that on started stripping the outer sheath that the cables was live .
and only realised by putting a tester on it .:eek:
I then asked her got insurance for wiring up your own place .
now your a thinking it is only cables need attaching to the sockets .
and then asked it ,got any rcd for the sockets ,none for feeding the first floor none of the bed rooms being work on ,and had a recent EICR done .:mad:

A bad spelling smiley really doesn't cover that.

Is English your first language, I really hope it's not!!

Reply to can you sort the sockets out . in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net