Discuss Can you take 2 phases to a consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It is not a home made enclosure, It is made by contactum.
The box has a 400v sticker on it, so anybody who wishes to service it knows the potential voltage.

Hi gigsy,
It's not a home made enclosure, but someone has adapted it in such a way as it no longer resembles or performs as it was intended. Therefore it's a home made adaption to fit a second phase that it was not intended for.

P.S. What is an electrical improver?

Hi gigsy,
It's not a home made enclosure, but someone has adapted it in such a way as it no longer resembles or performs as it was intended. Therefore it's a home made adaption to fit a second phase that it was not intended for.

It used to be in my time, someone who had done an apprenticeship and would normally spend the next 6 months as an Improver, that was what I did, mind you that was early 1960s. Don't know what it is these days what with apprenticeships the way they are structured.

Hi Gigsy, been keeping busy I see !
These boards are intended by manufacturers to be used for single phase. For more than one phase a 3 phase board should be used, in my humble opinion. I would drop an email to manufacturer's tech dept for their view.

Very good advise, thank you :)

Are you SO sure?

He seems to be defending its use rather than learning the reasons its not really suitable.

I would have said that this "box" needs a 3P isolator, in it, or at the very least adjacent to it.

I want to know if the board breaches any regulations. I have passed C&G level 2 regs exam. As far as I can see, no regulations have been breached here. I need to know so I can advise the owner of the building, if there is a breach of a regulation. I am not going to tell him this board needs changing until I know for sure it does. The work required to put it right (if anything is in breach of any regs) would be over £1000 in my opinion.

Is there is regulation which state a 3 phase isolator needs to be adjacent to it, or did you just make that up? If so can you give me the regulation number please?

No mate, I'm not sure. Just quoted what the OP stated in his first post. Lest ask...

@Gigsy . Did you wire up this CU or do any changes to it?

We have removed a circuit from this board.
Don't know if my last post went anywhere Gigsy, may seem a daft question, and I'm only asking because I'm not sure what I'm looking at, but have you canfirmedthat there are 2 phases present, by testing the Voltage between L2 and L3

Yes 400v between L2 and L3

Long time since I did any 3 phase stuff, but that doesn't appear to be a very good design. Either of those two DB's could be altered over time, and without in depth knowledge of the installation, one could be significantly altered in preference to the other. Unlikely to happen in a single dedicated 3P DB, IMO.

Agreed a 3 phase board would have been a better choice.

Anyone else notice the screws arnt done up (top left and right) someone could lift it up and pull it off the wall :D

The board was not powered at the time the photo was taken. We took the bottom screw out, the top screws are meant to be loose, you hang the board on the two top screws, then secure it with the bottom screw.

It's Single Phase Consumers Unit and should be treated as such, not designed for more than a single phase supply, any difference doesnt comply with BS7671 In my opinion, don't really understand what all the debate is about.

Hi gigsy,

The board is modular. It is designed so that accessories can be taken out and added as needs be.

Google electrical improver.

Hi Gigsy, been keeping busy I see !
These boards are intended by manufacturers to be used for single phase. For more than one phase a 3 phase board should be used, in my humble opinion. I would drop an email to manufacturer's tech dept for their view.
I refer you back to wilko's post. Only way to resolve this is to contact the manufacturer.
It sounds as though you think this is fine, if so that's what should be in your report and put your signature to it.

This is your job, your decision. No one can tell you what to advise your customer.

Equally your customer does not have to do anything you advise.

Good luck with it.

It's Single Phase Consumers Unit and should be treated as such, not designed for more than a single phase supply, any difference doesnt comply with BS7671 In my opinion, don't really understand what all the debate is about.

What makes you say that this board is designed for a single phase?

If you look at the specs of consumer units, you will find they do not state they are designed for a single phase?

I refer you back to wilko's post. Only way to resolve this is to contact the manufacturer.
It sounds as though you think this is fine, if so that's what should be in your report and put your signature to it.

This is your job, your decision. No one can tell you what to advise your customer.

Equally your customer does not have to do anything you advise.

Good luck with it.

Thank you. I actually do not like the design, but I can not find anything specifically against any regulations. This is why I am asking people in this forum for advice. I am not very experienced and I submit to the forums superior knowledge.

Is there is regulation which state a 3 phase isolator needs to be adjacent to it, or did you just make that up? If so can you give me the regulation number please?

First point - worrying about the cost to put right is IRRELEVENT

Second point - if the installer had used a "multiple" phase board, then the board would have included a single isolator for ALL the board

Third point - best practice - I wouldn't install in that way

Forth point - Your duty is to improve / make safer - learning how to "cut corners" isn't a good idea

Fifth point - what did your mentor / boss say?

First point - worrying about the cost to put right is IRRELEVENT

Second point - if the installer had used a "multiple" phase board, then the board would have included a single isolator for ALL the board

Third point - best practice - I wouldn't install in that way

Forth point - Your duty is to improve / make safer - learning how to "cut corners" isn't a good idea

Fifth point - what did your mentor / boss say?

Boss don't like it either. We have been discussing what regulation it breaches, that is when I suggested I ask the forum.

Reply to Can you take 2 phases to a consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net