Discuss Can you take 2 phases to a consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

What makes you say that this board is designed for a single phase?

If you look at the specs of consumer units, you will find they do not state they are designed for a single phase?
If it was a multi phase dB it would be designed as such, not bodged with two phases at the will of someone who ought to know better.

What makes you say that this board is designed for a single phase?

If you look at the specs of consumer units, you will find they do not state they are designed for a single phase?
If it was a multi phase dB it would be designed as such, not bodged with two phases at the will of someone who ought to know better. Why on Earth would you want to stick two phases in there? highly dangerous option imo.

Looking at the way this thread is going I don't think anyone will come up with any regulations that prevent you using a 'single phase board' for a multiple phase installation. If it had a clear label on the lid stating that 400v was present, and that both isolators should be switched off before removing the cover I would be ok with it. It may be rough and look like a badgers nest but its not unsafe in my opinion.

Looking at the way this thread is going I don't think anyone will come up with any regulations that prevent you using a 'single phase board' for a multiple phase installation. If it had a clear label on the lid stating that 400v was present, and that both isolators should be switched off before removing the cover I would be ok with it. It may be rough and look like a badgers nest but its not unsafe in my opinion.

Thank you for your objective opinion. I think I agree with you.

Looking the board up on Contactums website it complies with BSEN 61439, which states:

The new IEC 61439 standard applies to enclosures
for which the rated voltage is under 1000 V AC
(at frequencies not exceeding 1000 Hz) or 1500 V DC.

Why is it very dangerous in your opinion?
It's hardly a common type installation with 2 isolation points when 1 will be the norm, imagine a Domestic installer or Eletrical improver turning up to do some work, only to find two live conductors in what is a fter all an enclosure designed for a single phase supply.
You can argue all you want, but in essencee that is what it is, a Consumers unit desgned for one supply with one singe point of isolation.

top two are not meant to be tightened
Why? you might wish to improve your installation skills Gigsy. The top fixings are desgnedto be proud and not screwed tight until the Unit has been sited on the wall, and then and only then should they be screwed up tight along with the bottom fixings.

Last edited:
Looking the board up on Contactums website it complies with BSEN 61439, which states:

So this board can be used for a 3 phase 400V supply then?

So this board can be used for a 3 phase 400V supply then?
It's hardly a common type installation with 2 isolation points when 1 will be the norm, imagine a Domestic installer or Eletrical improver turning up to do some work, only to find two live conductors in what is a fter all an enclosure designed for a single phase supply.
You can argue all you want, but in essencee that is what it is, a Consumers unit desgned for one supply with one singe point of isolation.

The board is in a hairdressers, not a domestic premises. Why would a domestic installer be doing electrical work in a commercial building. The board is clearly identified with a 400V warning sticker (i may add a sticker saying isolate both switches) I am an electrical improver, I noticed the sticker. There are two switches with black and grey wires going to them and the switches are labled L2 and L3. You can not fail to realise there are 2 phases going to the board.

What makes you say the enclosure is designed for a single phase supply?

The consumer unit is modular, it is not designed for one switch. You can add another switch, it is designed so that you can add another switch.

Reply to Can you take 2 phases to a consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net