Discuss Can you wire two Pyros into one socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SFHD

-
Reaction score
AF06ACAA-8FFD-45EE-9E28-409E5FD9B658.jpeg 3EBBF021-532B-4890-8384-2BB99D59A2E2.jpeg

Hello all.
I’m new here, and I have a question regarding the old Pyro (MICC) that runs throughout our 1960s era flat.
The previous owner has spurred off a single gang wall socket and plonked another single gang next to it. I’d like to remove both single wall boxes and just have a double gang there for neatness, as there’s a visible gap down the middle of the two sockets.
However, as you can see there are two live and neutral Pyro feeds going into the first socket.
Can I use wire both feeds into a new bobble gang socket? Or shal I make one feed safe?
Also, which connectors would you reccomend I use to extend the Pyro wires with? As you can see they’re very short.

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott.

It is probably a ring final circuit so both need connection. You are going to need to knock out the wall below to access the glands to ensure they are very tight as the cable sheath provides the earth. I would seriously consider using an experienced electrician to do that and not some wet behind the ears youngster.

easily doable, but as westie says. also easy to cock it up. for the sake of a few quid, get an experienced electrician in, one who's conversant with MICC. you could do it yourself and it would work, but maybe that life-saving earth is not up to standard.

The existing back box does need replacing though or a more effective means of earthing to the back box put in place. I don't want to be negative with you but that could turn into a pig of a job even for an experienced electrician. Under no circumstances try to release those milled lock nuts.

Another issue is that they are probably imperial cables and a new back box will have metric entries which will be oversized and hence you lose an effective connection between the gland and back box which you do not want.

As I'm basically micc shy (chicken), I'd leave the original 1 gang micc backbox as is. Perhaps create a new 2g backbox to the left and spur into it?

Last edited:
View attachment 43761 View attachment 43762

Hello all.
I’m new here, and I have a question regarding the old Pyro (MICC) that runs throughout our 1960s era flat.
The previous owner has spurred off a single gang wall socket and plonked another single gang next to it. I’d like to remove both single wall boxes and just have a double gang there for neatness, as there’s a visible gap down the middle of the two sockets.
However, as you can see there are two live and neutral Pyro feeds going into the first socket.
Can I use wire both feeds into a new bobble gang socket? Or shal I make one feed safe?
Also, which connectors would you reccomend I use to extend the Pyro wires with? As you can see they’re very short.

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott.
If you are not an Electrician, with MICC experience, then my advice would be to get hold of one who has experience in this type of cable, as old MICC is not to be trifled with, and to be sure what is a bobble socket?

View attachment 43761 View attachment 43762

Hello all.

Thanks in advance guys,
Scott.
Can't see anything have you posted a picture?

Thank you for the feed back guys.
I actually just had a pair of sparkies round, but they ran out of time to do this. Pyro is new to me, and from what they've been saying and showing me, its awful stuff - especially when it ancient like ours.
We need them back in the future for something else, but I was hoping I could do this on my own in their absence.
Now that I know its not impossible but 'not recommended' for the DIYer (as keen as I am...) I'll take your advise and leave it to a Pro.
Thanks again chaps.
Scott.

it's a socket to put a bobble in.
Thanks Tel, tell me where can I get a Bobble, do CEF stock them, or is it an orange shed type item? can't think what the Guy behind the counter would say if I asked for a box of Bobbles to fit the new Bobble socket in my House.
Hope the OP isn't offended, cus it's banter, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
It is probably a ring final circuit so both need connection. You are going to need to knock out the wall below to access the glands to ensure they are very tight as the cable sheath provides the earth. I would seriously consider using an experienced electrician to do that and not some wet behind the ears youngster.
oi! i know what u mean though, only time i really worked with pyro is at college

Thanks Tel, tell me where can I get a Bobble, do CEF stock them, or is it an orange shed type item? can't think what the Guy behind the counter would say if I asked for a box of Bobbles to fit the new Bobble socket in my House.
Hope the OP isn't offended, cus it's banter, nothing more nothing less.

i can only find bobble borats

borat-bobblehead-large-1452117542.jpg

Reply to Can you wire two Pyros into one socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net