Discuss Can you wire two Pyros into one socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What about disconnecting the spur then using a single to double socket converter over the MICC socket and filling the remains of the other single socket?
You would need to ascertain the integrity and the method of how the original SPUR was installed. is it part of the RFC or a spur from a spur, not as simple as imagine Davisonp

You would need to ascertain the integrity and the method of how the original SPUR was installed. is it part of the RFC or a spur from a spur, not as simple as imagine Davisonp
The folk who used to install MICC in general used to do things properly, so in this setup there was a single back box with two MICC into it, an someone wanted a second socket, so spurred off the MICC socket putting a second back box next to the original. Confirming the original MICC install should be straightforward, and not disturbing the original MICC back box preferable to messing with the buried cables, hence to tidy things up, a socket converter giving two sockets from a single back box and fill or remove and fill the spurred back box. Still a job for a proper electrician.

The folk who used to install MICC in general used to do things properly, so in this setup there was a single back box with two MICC into it, an someone wanted a second socket, so spurred off the MICC socket putting a second back box next to the original. Confirming the original MICC install should be straightforward, and not disturbing the original MICC back box preferable to messing with the buried cables, hence to tidy things up, a socket converter giving two sockets from a single back box and fill or remove and fill the spurred back box. Still a job for a proper electrician.
good luck with that

Davisonp: Thats food for thought, Ill tell my sparkie but Im still tempted to do it myself lol. I won't though, as you've said, the back box and milled nuts are ruined. I could be in a world of pain very quickly!

It is probably a ring final circuit so both need connection. You are going to need to knock out the wall below to access the glands to ensure they are very tight as the cable sheath provides the earth. I would seriously consider using an experienced electrician to do that and not some wet behind the ears youngster.

This youngster has rewired a lighting circuit in a church using Pyro, were all not complete tarts i will have you know.

Last time i worked with Pyro was when a builder put an angle grinder through a 10mm 2 core submain in a empty flat.

Bloody thing was imperial it cost about £200 for the tools and gland that I needed to order to re- terminate it, I had to solder the pot on too as it was obsolete and didnt quite fit.
The stuff is so expensive now, personally wouldnt want to touch it unless I had the tools to hand.

Another issue is that they are probably imperial cables and a new back box will have metric entries which will be oversized and hence you lose an effective connection between the gland and back box which you do not want.
You could be right W, not sure. If it's push on neoprene, it's metric. The imperial discs I remember didn't have it. The sleeves were lipped and pushed through holes in the disc from the inside of the pot before sealing.

If it's push on neoprene, it's metric. The imperial discs I remember didn't have it. The sleeves were lipped and pushed through holes in the disc from the inside of the pot before sealing.

Both types of disc and sleeve are still available, if I remember correctly the lipped type of sleeve is a higher temp deal than the standard stub cap type.

Pyro is new to me, and from what they've been saying and showing me, its awful stuff - especially when it ancient like ours.

It’s not awful stuff at all, it’s a pretty versatile and very resilient type of cable.
Working with it is a less common skill these days and these people telling you it is ‘awful stuff’ suggests that maybe they don’t have the skills.

Someone with the relevant experience, and maybe a little lateral thinking should have no problem doing the job safely and in full compliance with the regulations. Although whoever does it and however they do it there will have to be a bit of a hole made in the plaster to access the glands and cable.

Thanks Tel, tell me where can I get a Bobble, do CEF stock them, or is it an orange shed type item? can't think what the Guy behind the counter would say if I asked for a box of Bobbles to fit the new Bobble socket in my House.
Hope the OP isn't offended, cus it's banter, nothing more nothing less.
CEF would probably tell you one price for that Bobble and charge you another price.

Why not leave the existing MICC socket as it is , but replace the actual socket itself. Remove skt box on the left and replace it with a new twin socket box. Flush 2nd box about half inch from existing MICC box. That way, all neat and tidy, plus you will have 3 x sockets.

What about disconnecting the spur then using a single to double socket converter over the MICC socket and filling the remains of the other single socket?

Agree with Davisonp, simple DIY job & you'll be done in no time. Not worth complicating it if your not sure you have the skills.

Reply to Can you wire two Pyros into one socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock