• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Can you work this out in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lofty84

what is the maximum permitted voltage drop of a cable supplied from 400v three phase.

a.11.5v
b.6.9v
c.20v
d.12v

I know the answers c but I dont know what the formula is to get there.

does anyone know

Max permissable volt drop is the same percentage for single and three phase i.e, 5% for power circuits and 3% for lighting.

So 5% of 400V is 20V.:)

a circuit wired in 1.5mm 2 thermoplastic (pvc) twin with cpc cable is protected by a 16A device and is used to supply a 230 V 3 KW water heater. If the cable has a rated voltage drop of 29 mv/A/m and the circuit is 24 m long, the actual voltage drop will be

a. 2.08v
b. 9.07v
c. 11.14v
d. 69v

can someone help me to work this out

hi iwas taught to work out vd to use this formula;
vd=Ib x mv x L / 1000
so my answer would be C

16 x 29 x 24 / 1000 = 11.136
hope this is of help

3000 W / 230V = 13.04A

29 x 13.04 x 24 / 1000 = 9.07V

i messed that one up didnt i? speed reading again, i was told to stop that when i did my 17 th last week, obviously not got out of the habit.

hi iwas taught to work out vd to use this formula;
vd=Ib x mv x L / 1000
so my answer would be C

16 x 29 x 24 / 1000 = 11.136
hope this is of help

Your theory is sound but you have used (In) in your calc i.e the rating of the breaker instead of the actual circuit (Ib) of 13.04A.:)

stick ur meter on it and see what u get

Yup I know, anything up to about 256V.

Doesn't matter a jot I am afraid, as calculations are done to the the nominal voltage of 230V, as one day (although they've been saying this for donkeys years) they are going to drop the voltage to the harmonised 230V.

Why do you think all the max Zs values have all dropped in the 17th? Because the recognised voltage is now 230V instead of 240V.

Just a quick bit of info I've just found to illustrate my point.

"The nominal European voltage is now 230V 50 Hz (formerly 240V in UK, 220V in the rest of Europe) but this does not mean there has been a real change in the supply.

Instead, the new "harmonised voltage limits" in Europe are now:
230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V)

in most of Europe (the former 220V nominal countries), and
230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V - 253.0 V)
in UK (former 240V nominal)

This is really a fudge and means there is no real change of supply voltage, only a change in the "label", with no incentive for electricity supply companies to actually change the supply voltage.

To cope with both sets of limits an equipment will therefore need to cover 230V +/-10% i.e. 207-253V. This will actually become the official limit for the whole of the EU in 2003."

The OP reads "a cable supplied form 400V three phase" i.e a three phase load so I stand by my previous post.:)

Also 12V is incorrect anyway as ALL calculations are based on the nominal Uo of 230V = 11.5V.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Can you work this out in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back