Discuss Cancellation Rights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

Running on from the other thread people will have seen, do any electrical contractors here have a system in place to cover cancellation rights? I.e. do you have a cancellation policy that you give to customers with your estimates? Do you have a "start work now" form which waives the right to cancellations that you get the customer to sign for "here and now" work? Or do you just blindly ignore it all in the hopes that it won't affect you?

It is a law that applies to domestic only!
So, you have to do it, else, legally domestic customers don't have to pay a penny.
I know people that have been caught out by it, and not just sparks.

And also Richard, how do you handle the "can you do it now" customers? Do you have a "start work now" form? I know the rights are waived for emergency works, so example someone phones as says they have dangerous electrics. But if you go to change a light fitting which isn't dangerous or can be classed as emergency how do you proceed without breaching the regs? I know the type of work that you would do there and then is typically <£100 so no big deal if non-payers but still....

I have this on the front of all estimates, which have my company details and contacts on them.
"This estimate is subject to This company terms and conditions stated overleaf.
Please sign for acceptance of this estimate (paper only)
......................................................................................................................
If you wish to cancel the contract you must do so before the cancellation period expires and inform (by e mail or equivalent) the company named below. You may (but do not have to) use this form.
To: This company.
Notice is hereby given of the cancellation of the contract for the goods/services identified in Estimate Number:_________________________________________________________________________
Signed (paper only):
Name and Address:
Date:"

I accept email confirmation of going ahead with the job

On the terms and conditions this is provided:
"Right to Cancel
You have the right to cancel within 14 days of accepting this estimate or, for sales only, the receipt of all goods. To do so you must clearly inform the company of your decision to cancel this contract (by email or equivalent) before the cancellation period expires.
If you cancel (apart from deductions for loss of value from handling beyond establishing the nature, characteristics and function of the goods and delivery charges above standard delivery) the company will reimburse all payments received from the customer within 14 days or less of the return of goods, if applicable, or the receipt of the cancellation notice, by the original method of payment unless agreed otherwise. Goods must be sent back by the customer within 14 days of the date of cancellation.
If service is requested to start during the cancellation period the customer will pay, in relation to the cost of the contract, a proportional amount relating to the work done until the cancellation took place."

This does not completely cover all the eventualities mentioned in the law or possible, however it should cover most of them. The actual requirements are far too long winded to be able to fit into one sheet of A4 with other information on it.
If the customer has agreed a date usually by email then I take this as accepting the terms and conditions and so agreeing the proportional cost if they cancel, but as you say this would be for limited cost jobs.

Richard and NetBlind, would it be possible to share the content you have in place?

hightower,
Just coz I know about it doesn't mean I do anything about it.
I have done maybe 2 domestic jobs in 3 years!
I hate doing domestic work with a passion you would not believe.
One of those jobs was subbed out, with me just overseeing it, and, only because it was linked to other work that was needed at the property that we do for another client.
It's complicated.

Reply to Cancellation Rights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock