Discuss Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It does not suggest it can be left exposed to the elements or mechanical stress.

The intention of my post is to show the section where the OSG suggests it may be used for outside. Other factors may come into play, as suggested.

Well!
After explaining, as I went along with the client, I could see they were getting increasing frustrated at the number of faults I was uncovering. (Not that that stopped me).
Turns out that another guy had visited this site, found that there were faults but rather than identifying them simply removed the overload (ie... the outhouse) and left power to the stables. Happy client... for now.
I turn up and find all sorts of problems and I'm suddenly the villian. "Why didn't the first guy find these faults?"..."Why aren't you looking at the outhouse where you're boss (Who I'm subbing for) said the fault was?"
Worst part of it all was that the guy I'm subbing for took a similar view. "Why are you making my company look like a shark?"
Well, I said, I'm just doing my job.....properly.

I don't think I'll be invited back. I'm too thorough so it seems.

... the outhouse is supplied via a 2.5mm T&E from the main house CU, which runs for several meters along an external wall (outside and unprotected) then disapears into a 50mm plastic pipe underground ... but from a basic level is ... T&E ... into buried conduit really compliant with regs? I can't find where it isn't ...
Hi - I've opened BBB for the first read - Reg 522.8.10 is the same as before. It roughly says if it's not SWA then it needs to be in conduit or ducting that provides equivalent mechanical protection. Just my take on it, but 50mm plastic drain pipe (I guess that's what they've used) wouldn't pass muster as mechanical protection equivalent to SWA.

Was it acceptable under the past regs to be able to run T& E in plastic conduit in the ground (at a suitable depth)? As I have come across this quite often.

Hi - I've opened BBB for the first read - Reg 522.8.10 is the same as before. It roughly says if it's not SWA then it needs to be in conduit or ducting that provides equivalent mechanical protection. Just my take on it, but 50mm plastic drain pipe (I guess that's what they've used) wouldn't pass muster as mechanical protection equivalent to SWA.

Thanks for that.
Food for thought... and a frantic grab for the regs book again....
I didn't say it was drain pipe and I didn't confirm it was regulation standar conduit. But all said and done I can assume that 2.5mm running externally is not recommended and I need to confirm that it is adequately (mechanically) protected when run externaly or buried.
The rest is vague, but I'm sure that whatever happens I'll be the richer for it.

The stables were supplied from a cable I don't recall seeing before (see picture). It is a 20mm almost solid pvc cable with a solid core conductor. They had used one for the live and one for the neutral so there were two cables running the 40m to the stables.

As Brianmoooor said, that's electric fence cable. From the look of it, it's the cheap stuff which has a galvanised solid steel core. The CCA is usually about 1.5mm. Although insulated to HV levels, no way is it suitable for LV ac mains. It was probably found in a shed.
I'd say replace the whole installation, or walk (run?) away :)

Something about how you can't make a horse drink? I attended a house years ago after a "there's flames coming out of the wall!" kind of emergency call-out and after some digging around I discovered a previous electricians report folded behind some pipes near the ancient distribution system that had basically condemned the place the year before - I asked the owner about it and they said that had been left after his (adult) son had been electrocuted whilst using the shower..... sometimes you just can't cheat Darwin!!

My advice in this would be to take a line with the customer that says it'll be cheaper for them just to replace the whole lot rather than wasting time having you find every last fault first and still ending up in the same situation.

Reply to Can't find a reg on it, but it just seems wrong... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net