Discuss Cant find a suitable non electrical forum in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You all saw mypost about a volunteer job I did yesterday, there were two grab rails I was reluctant to fit as the walls were plasterboard and stud work, simple fix you will say, but the rules of the game are "try not to damage the building fabric" and explain to the client why you can't do this particular job.

I have a stud finder, but the rails don't match the stud positions, recently decorated and brand new shower cubicle fitted, with a waterproof enclosure, of coure there would be the option of fitting a wooden sstrip to the studs and fit rail to that, didn't like that idea, now comes the question, as it's a grab rail for a rather large gentleman, to get in and out of the shower, and a rail for getting on and off the WC, anyone got any ideas, apart from the ones I have mentioned? Would be grateful for any input, mickey taking, will be tolerated up to a point.

No easy answer to this one Pete . In my opinion it will have to be reinforced for the obvious safety reasons ; especially for person you describe.
I would be fitting a suitable support to the stud or leaving it alone .
The implications of an accident could be catastrophic for the client , and your nerves.

Rather than fixing the grab rail direct to the wall could you not first fix a larger panel of wood or thick rigid plastic even? Then fix the rails to this? It would spread the load out more across the wall and make it less of an issue.... the panel would also allow for more fixing points into the wall

Rather than fixing the grab rail direct to the wall could you not first fix a larger panel of wood or thick rigid plastic even? Then fix the rails to this? It would spread the load out more across the wall and make it less of an issue.... the panel would also allow for more fixing points into the wall
T
Thanks Gavin, already told the client about that sort of solution, not agreeable to it, see post 1

How about suspended from the ceiling joists considering the weight etc? So a horizontal grab rail off of vertical down bar, and steadied on to the wall maybe? Or as already suggested, a plate. Don't think anything else will be safe. Maybe a pole with bannister brackets so you could move the brackets to the joists???

How about suspended from the ceiling joists considering the weight etc? So a horizontal grab rail off of vertical down bar, and steadied on to the wall maybe?
Thanks, will have to let management sort it it, but I'll pass al thoughts on.

You all saw mypost about a volunteer job I did yesterday, there were two grab rails I was reluctant to fit as the walls were plasterboard and stud work, simple fix you will say, but the rules of the game are "try not to damage the building fabric" and explain to the client why you can't do this particular job.

I have a stud finder, but the rails don't match the stud positions, recently decorated and brand new shower cubicle fitted, with a waterproof enclosure, of coure there would be the option of fitting a wooden sstrip to the studs and fit rail to that, didn't like that idea, now comes the question, as it's a grab rail for a rather large gentleman, to get in and out of the shower, and a rail for getting on and off the WC, anyone got any ideas, apart from the ones I have mentioned? Would be grateful for any input, mickey taking, will be tolerated up to a point.

Hi Pete,

you could ask the authority to supply a rail which can fix from the floor to the ceiling, a long rail admittedly but it would be fixed securely and it would do the job.

Regarding your comment about you will tolorate any mickey taking to a point, if you need me to bust anyone open for you just ask, I won't mind the typing lol

GripIt Blue Plasterboard Fixings 25 x 20mm 8 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/gripit-blue-plasterboard-fixings-25-x-20mm-8-pack/7518J?tc=BT1&ds_kid=92700023382283773&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn-bWBRDGARIsAPS1svsS8bPL-JyiOqbhfh6xOIULznaeKUmzzQd9rkUSnUnVNMTi9EKSr9kaAtm1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJjDr9G8yNoCFVcw0wodbZwM2w

Good for 225 kg's allegedly

Hi Pete,

you could ask the authority to supply a rail which can fix from the floor to the ceiling, a long rail admittedly but it would be fixed securely and it would do the job.

Regarding your comment about you will tolorate any mickey taking to a point, if you need me to bust anyone open for you just ask, I won't mind the typing lol
Cheers Mate

Hi Pete,

Cheers Mate
GripIt Blue Plasterboard Fixings 25 x 20mm 8 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/gripit-blue-plasterboard-fixings-25-x-20mm-8-pack/7518J?tc=BT1&ds_kid=92700023382283773&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn-bWBRDGARIsAPS1svsS8bPL-JyiOqbhfh6xOIULznaeKUmzzQd9rkUSnUnVNMTi9EKSr9kaAtm1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJjDr9G8yNoCFVcw0wodbZwM2w

Good for 225 kg's allegedly
Thanks

My dear old Dad would've had the plasterboard off and some new studding in. Probably destroy the bath, but that grab handle would be solid :)
Agree, but when you are working for free and Mrs Houseproud doesn't want any mess, or disruption?

Reply to Cant find a suitable non electrical forum in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock