Discuss Can't find what circuit does in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cakey

Was doing a cu change yesterday and as usual the old board had no circuit identification at all. After an hour or so of moving lots of junk about I managed to get 7 of the 8 circuits but there's one 2.5 t+e cable off a 16a mcb that I just can't figure out what it does, if it does anything at all. Home owner hasn't a clue. Is there anything I can put on the cert to cover me? Thanks guys.

circuit not located in the deviations box
leave that mcb off tell home owner you are doing so tilll they notice what isnt working it could be old immerser or similar no longer in use

If yiu cant find anything than I would be disconnecting it in.the cu and isolating it. Than the MCB can go as a spare and put on cert under comments unknown circuit disconnected.
If it really does nothing than the homeowner wont notice anything. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

The question you should be asking is, what doesn't work if it isn't connected?

If everything works and all testing hasn't thrown up any anomalies then you have no reason to re connect it.

Of course, If you want to rip the house apart to follow the cable, that too is an option for you.

Thanks for the quick advice. Feel like I've already ripped the house apart. Will leave it disconnected and comment on the cert.

dont cut the cable back, disconnect and make ends safe and inform customer to see if they notice anything not working over the next few days.

always circuits no longer in use just left, i would be checking for old immersion/fcu hidden in cupboards etc.. but if you cant find anything then chances are tenants wont either.

Just leave it disconnected and terminated correctly incase the customer finds something, which no longer works

Yep this is what I would do I had the same problem although I thought I traced and ID all the circuits thing a couple of lighting circuit were just doubled up well I found that 2 circuits I could not find I traced 1 under the floor and cut the other was no joy hunte the house top to bottom and disconnected it so far after a month no phone call to say x is not working.

Did you put a clamp meter around the line and see if it was showing any current being used? If not then it wont be doing anything and is probably as stated above an old FCU or Immersion feed.

I’m with the rest, disconnect and make safe.

I once isolated a 300A feeder at work expecting someone to shout, nothing, I never did find out where it went. A 185 3½ core just wandering off in to the distance you’d think someone would notice.

Reply to Can't find what circuit does in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net