Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss CAPACITIVE LEAKAGE CURRENTS AND TRANSFORMERLESS PV INVERTERS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. marconi

marconi Regular EF Member

I have spent some time reading into PV panels and inverters while trying to help with a current post on nuisance RCD tripping at a PV installation on a farm. I happened upon this technical paper which explains capacitive leakage currents from PV arrays and the trouble they could cause, especially when transformerless inverters are in use. I thought others would be interested in reading it and learning from it. Helpfully, a compensation scheme is suggested at Section 6 and a way of estimating the capacitance at Section 1.

http://files.sma.de/dl/7418/Ableitstrom-TI-en-25.pdf

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Thanks Marconi, an interesting read.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    That is worth a bookmark indeed. We have a PV system at one of the sites I work. I confess to knowing very little about them. This does trip here and there and I have been asked to look at it. When I say I know nothing about them I understand the underlying principles of generation and conversion etc. But the info on that sheet while a bit heady is of value perhaps. Happily the PV has stopped tripping... for now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. marconi

My take -aways are that the displacement current effect is stronger when the upper panel surface is wetted or has moisture on it, and the combination of make/model of panels with make/model/technology of inverter can matter. Plus, the capacitive leakage current can bias the rcd towards its trip threshold-hence the compensator scheme of shunt capacitor and 4 pole rcd.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Ok now that threw me when I read that, I thought it was talking about single phase, so where does a 4 pole come into it?

6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi V, I think it's to feed the compensating cap current through the RCD and allow the whole thing to be diss.

IMG_1121.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. marconi

Yes, that's right Wilko. A three pole RCD (if they make them) would suffice too. It's a way injecting into the RCD sense coil a current(magentic flux) in antiphase to that created by the capacitive leakage current. The way the compensator capacitor is connected in circuit and to the terminals 2 and 1 achieves this. I think its a neat simple remedy.