Discuss Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I know it's the basic of questions but I'm starting to question how I install capping.

I do much work with it as most work that involes domestic work is usually just for friends or family.

However, Everytime I do it I always think there must be an easier way. I've tried mortar nails through the capping and in the mortar, screws through the capping into plugs and screws just to the side into plugs. All seem to have benefits and negatives.

Any other methods?

I favour screws either side with small washers or I have been using orbix screws that have a wide flat head and grip the capping well as they are not countersink. At least with screws you can do one side up nearly all the way and slide the capping behind them checking the cables are sat nice before you do the other side screws up. Aannd if the customer wants an extra you can just undo the screws and add another cable! + I hate capping nails with a passion!! the mortar round here is either rock hard so they just bend or fly out at you, or like sand and you can guarantee they will fall out as you hit the next one in!
Sy

I haven't used capping for years but used to fix it with galv 'clout' or plasterboard nails into the mortar joints, how times have changed, plasterboard always seems to be fixed with those black screws now- with horrible Philips heads. :)

I haven't used capping for years but used to fix it with galv 'clout' or plasterboard nails into the mortar joints, how times have changed, plasterboard always seems to be fixed with those black screws now- with horrible Philips heads. :)

Much preferred using the old clout nails whilst tacking plasterboard, then the screws came in, then everyone bought 9.6v Makita screw gun with the long handle, then they really went for it and got 110v Makita screw gun and now they have the Drywall screw gun.

In new builds I use the metal band strap with a spit nail either side goes up super quick, in older stuff I put a screw either side and abit of copper cable that wraps around the screws and as you tighten the screws up it pulls the copper right to the capping.

I use clout nails either side also.

I did get a sample of plastic capping from a company, whose name escapes me at the mo. It was more like very thin trunking, which was hinged on one side. You just screw the back to your wall, put your cables into, then closed the lid. Few years ago now, never used it as wholesalers never stocked it. Seem quick way of doing it, but probably a bit of a faff in chases.

prefer the oval tube, screw and plug fixed with it's dedicated clips.

I'm waiting for our NI (& Ireland) colleagues, who tell us all off and insist on conduit. :)
fixed with robertson square drive screw heads no doubt. i've got some of them just to pi$$ off young sparks after i'm dead and departed this earth. :D:D:D.

Yep, 20mm light gauge round conduit. Builders etc would be horror stricken if you used capping here. On the plus side I bought a bundle of capping 8 years ago, I still have about 20 lengths of it left:tearsofjoy:

Out of curiosity 123, do you run tw&e down those conduits?

Reply to Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net