Discuss capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

yes, but then cables > 50mm deep would be at risk and they don't require any protection. you get builders and wood butchers around, anything can happen, but how far do you go?

Yeah sorry I was thinking about zones.
'A zone formed on one side of a partition wall of 100mm or less thickness extends to the reverse side only if the location of the accessory can be determined from the reverse side'

Also two lengths of capping is not a substitute for metallic earthed conduit. If it was deemed acceptable it would state in the regs earthed metallic conduit or similar but it doesn't.

Think about it for a minute now would ya. What purpose does an earthed metallic sheath serve in a cable? Why would an earthed metallic length of capping be any different to this? We all know it isn't mentioned in the regs, but we're talking theoretically here right.

it would serve the purpose, agreed. a nail penetrating the capping and the L conductor would operate the OCPD.

So would it be fair to say that if it isn't listed as a method of providing penetration protection the same as an earthed metallic sheath, but, it is as safe as, then it could be listed as a departure from BS7671?

Think about it for a minute now would ya. What purpose does an earthed metallic sheath serve in a cable? Why would an earthed metallic length of capping be any different to this? We all know it isn't mentioned in the regs, but we're talking theoretically here right.

Because capping does not fully enclose the cable nor is it in direct contact with the cpc

fair in my book. as you say, it's no less safe than if it was done as per BS7671.

You are relying on an the capping being suitably earthed and without this connection being accessible for verification I would not deem it as acceptable. I could probably ask someone to give me a number of reasonably qualified reasons why earthing a piece of capping does not constitute as suitable protection but i have others things to do.

Because capping does not fully enclose the cable nor is it in direct contact with the cpc

Unless the wall is so thin that the distance between the cable and the other side of the wall is less than 50mm then the cable doesn't need to be enclosed. Also, if the capping is earthed then of course it is in direct contact with the cpc.

Unless the wall is so thin that the distance between the cable and the other side of the wall is less than 50mm then the cable doesn't need to be enclosed. Also, if the capping is earthed then of course it is in direct contact with the cpc.

No it is not in direct physical contact with the cpc of a cable. It is connected by a flying lead. I'm out.

nor is it in direct contact with the cpc

Good point, what if 2 or 3 different circuiits are behind one section of capping? Only one circuit providing the CPC to the capping. Then that circuit gets disconnected from the DB at a later date?

Look feel free to do it your way but its not a suiable method as per BS7671 whether you feel it works in theory or not.

If i was inspecting the work on one of my jobs I would get you to do it as per BS 7671 regardless of whether you think its acceptable in theory or not.

Tell you what, how about raising it when it comes round to your scheme assessment. See what they say then.

No it is not in direct physical contact with the cpc of a cable. It is connected by a flying lead. I'm out.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by direct contact, with the addition of the word 'physical' it now makes sense to me. Still, if the connection made was MF such as a rivveted or soldered connection then I can't see a problem, there's no need for a MF connection to be accessible for verification.

Good point, what if 2 or 3 different circuiits are behind one section of capping? Only one circuit providing the CPC to the capping. Then that circuit gets disconnected from the DB at a later date?

a valid point. go to the top of the class.

Look feel free to do it your way but its not a suiable method as per BS7671 whether you feel it works in theory or not.

I think you need to have a read up on exactly what a departure from BS7671 is mate.

If i was inspecting the work on one of my jobs I would get you to do it as per BS 7671 regardless of whether you think its acceptable in theory or not.

How you choose to work on your jobs is not really relevant to the discussion as this is entirely personal preference.

I am not necessarily saying that I would do it this way, but if I found work to be done this way ie. A cable has been protected within a wall throughout its whole length by metallic capping earthed by way of a maintenance free connection, the distance between the cable and the other side of the wall is greater than 50mm and the metallic capping is suitably sized in accordance with the requirements of section 543, then I would be more than comfortable to list it in the departures section of the certificate.

Tell you what, how about raising it when it comes round to your scheme assessment. See what they say then.

I'd be happy to, except when my renewal date comes in March I won't be renewing so won't have a chance :)

The same could be said of metallic conduit or trunking. You would have to ensure if this was the case that the capping was earthed to a common point.

Reply to capping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock