Discuss Car Battery Advice in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

YossiD

-
DIY
Reaction score
I drive a 2-1/2 year old Suzuki Crossover (S-Cross), 1600 petrol, automatic transmission.

The other day I left the headlights and radio on with engine not running, and after ~20 minutes the radio quit and the engine would not star. Jumper cables got me started again, and since then no problem.

Still, considering the age of the battery, I'm thinking why not replace it now before it dies completely. The warranty on the battery was 2 years, so I won't lose any coverage by changing now (or when I find a good sale).

The OEM battery (Varta) is rated at C20 of 36Ah, which is the lowest I can recall ever seeing in a car. I cannot find a similar battery anywhere here (Israel), and even the Varta website doesn't list this battery.

I spoke with a local official Suzuki garage and they told me that they replace this battery with a locally manufactured 50Ah model (Schnapp - reputable & been around for many years), per instructions from the importer. I checked the model they told me and I see that the dimensions are quite similar to the OEM battery, and I'm guessing that's part of the reason they use that model (Schnapp also makes a 46Ah model, but it's a good bit bigger and wouldn't fit).

The OEM battery does not have CCA or RC marked on it, just basic C20 capacity (36Ah), but I figure the 50Ah aftermarket battery will be higher in both.

Of course, I want to replace the battery myself since the dealer takes way too much for that.

So here are my questions:

1. Will replacing the OEM 36Ah battery with a 50Ah aftermarket battery have any undesirable effects on the alternator and charging system? I've seen both yes and no answers on some other forums.

2. Is it important to keep backup power connected when changing the battery to avoid losing computer settings for the engine ignition/combustion control systems, etc? If so, is it ok to connect another battery in parallel while doing the replacement?

3. Car batteries in Israel come with either 12 or 20-month warranties. I've been told that in many cases the 20-month is exactly the same battery with a different label and higher price. Comments?

Thanks very much.

The change of battery from 36Ah to 50Ah is unlikely to cause problems.
It is generally best to keep the power continuously supplied to a modern car and using crocodile clips to the battery terminals from battery in parallel is normally the easiest way though it can be easy to inadvertently short the battery as you are maneuvering it out so make sure the connections do not hit the bodywork.
No idea about warranties.

Leaving the headlights on with a 36AH battery is going to flatten it pretty quick, especially as it may not of been fully charged in the first place.
You have to consider the amount that a starter takes out of your battery , and the running with equipment drawing power compared to the alternators output.

Two and a half years on a Varta battery is not a long time ; I think you may have just been unlucky , and all the equations Have conspired against you. :)

Shalom,erev tov,your warranties will be a choice of indemnity,not product,and a larger sized/capacity battery,should not make any difference to the function of your alternator.

Where in Israel are you?

Reply to Car Battery Advice in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net