Discuss Car Charging Box - Is this okay? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

I've just placed an order for an electric car for the missus to use. My Dad has a car charging box in his garage that is unused, so I was going to rip it out and install it at home for this new car.

My question is based around how to wire it. I have two options - the first option I'm not keen on so let's get it out the way. New RCBO in board, cable out the back in to the garage, along the garage wall to get it outside to the box.

Second option, which is what I want approval on, is my cutout is in a standard wall box right where we want the charger. My thoughts were to take the feed from the load side of the isolator in to a henley to split it, so the supply to the house CCU comes out the henley - fairly standard stuff. Then to take a new feed from the henley and bring it to the charger box which I will install right next to the electrical box.

I like this second option mainly because it will be a lot less work, as well as a tidier job. The cable run from the Henley to the charger box will be much less than 3m (1m max), so my understanding is I don't need to provide fault protection at the source as it will be provided at the charger box in way of RCD plus MCB.

Can anyone see a problem with my preferred install method, or am I good to go?

Suggest adding a rotary isolator prior to charger. Suggest you go on a course prior to installing which will prove competence to install. Charger needs to be registered with energynetworks within one calender month too. Plus how are you going to test it? Needs a special tester standard MFT is not up to the task. Suggest get the IET Code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installation 2nd edition. Have fun.

I remeber reading somewhere that if the charger is inside a garage then you can use tncs earthing. If outside then it needs to be tt due to the possible diffrence in potential ie at the house & garage?

Suggest get the IET Code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installation 2nd edition it will explain all you need to know about earthing arrangements and what you can and can't do. Main text book for any course out there.

Sadly the days are numbered for nice sounding engines. The sad bit is when the government brings in pay per mile tax on vehicles or some other money making scheme due to the fact it needs to get its money from somewhere if its not getting it from petrol or diesel. Another bad for all of us trying hard to make a living.

Suggest get the IET Code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installation 2nd edition. Have fun.
Indeed, another over priced book,
Have a read of this pdf from Megger about testing the EV charge points. it gives a list of compatible testers, maybe need an extra lead of two (maybe fabricate your own if needed?) It says the Megger 1700 series will do most of what you need.

Attachments

• Testing-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Equipment_AN_en_V01.pdf
    206.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Meh, I guess I’ll just get a company in to do it
You should find you can get a grant for a new one, you may find it cheaper to go down the olev grant route than pay an electricians firm to do it, might be little in it. Rolec ev charge less than £200 quid with the OLEV rebate taken off. I have been speaking to them to become registered installer so know a bit about them.
Grant Funded Home Charging Points | EV Charging | Rolecserv - http://www.rolecserv.com/ev-charging/product/OLEV-Grant-Funded-HomeCharge-Points
as you are buying a new electric car then you would almost certainly get the OLEV grant.

Always remember that cars are often provided with option of charging from a normal 13A socket. This is potentially dangerous especially if you dont know if the circuit is RCD protected or what the earthing arangement is. Extreme care should always be taken when not using a dedicated EV charging point which has been electrically proven safe.

Reply to Car Charging Box - Is this okay? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net