Discuss Car Charging Point Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lads

Be asked to provide a dedicated 32A supply for a future charging point. Does the circuit need a 32A Type A RCBO

Chris

Should be type A but depending on what charge point you are using it could have a type A RCD built in to the charge point.
If you are not sure what charge point you are using I would install the cable in a method/cable choice that doesn't require RCD protection as obviously you wouldn't want to end up with two 30ma RCD's in series.

Cheers

but the customer does not know yet as it is only for future install, he has said the charging point will come with the car, also current CU is full with no spare ways. So was thinking of installing a small 50A Mini CU at incoming with RCD. Run armoured to garage to a Garage CCU as he wants a couple of sockets and lights and power for electric door. Is this ok

Cheers

but the customer does not know yet as it is only for future install, he has said the charging point will come with the car, also current CU is full with no spare ways. So was thinking of installing a small 50A Mini CU at incoming with RCD. Run armoured to garage to a Garage CCU as he wants a couple of sockets and lights and power for electric door. Is this ok

If you are installing the cable using SWA then It doesn't require RCD protection between proposed new ccu at the mains position and garage.

Why put the RCD at the supply end and then run it in SWA?
Unless you have a TT system, run a fused supply in SWA to the garage and then RCBO for the sockets and an RCBO for the lights, if required.
If the supplied charger does not have RCD protection when it arrives then fit a type A RCD for the charger.

You could install a sŵitch fuse at mains, swa to garage, main switch ccu in garage, RCBO for sockets, RCBO for lights if required wire charging point in swa/ installation method that doesn't require RCD protection so can be put on an mcb incase charging point has built in RCD, if it hasn't then you could swap mcb for charging point for a type A RCBO.

Edit: took me ages to type as have had a few bevvies and Richard beat me to it.

Last edited:

Reply to Car Charging Point Domestic in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net