Discuss Caravan park installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

s.w.

Has anyone got any suggestions ! Been asked to quote a job to supply 6 caravans with power. The supply company is running a supply from the overhead supply to the field.from there it is up to me,not sure what would be best,1 ring main,1 radial or 6 single circuits. the caravans are in a line, the furthest being 60 metres from the pole and a total ring length of 100 metres,the 6 caravans are static,with a design current of 32A per van.any advice ?

Some questions first.
1/ The suppliers intake fuse at the pole is what?
2/ Type of earthing?
3/ Is there an isolator?
4/ Does caravan outlet require the full 32A?
5/ What type of cable do you propose to run from the supplier's fuse?

Last edited:
I personally would run it in a ring you can get away with a much smaller CSA on the cable

It really is an impossible task to design it over a forum but a few tips can be given

1. Look at a ring main
2 That over head supply is it going to be a TN or TT
3. Have a good look at the regs and section 708 and the restrictions for TNC-S
4 32amp per van is quite a load for a caravan are these holiday or residential.
5. Try and utilize distances perhaps you can feed 2 or 3 vans from on point rather than having 6 separate pints. I do mean points and not sockets as you can utilize 4 sockets to a point.

Im sure 16Amp is the norm when i had a look out of intrest at 1. Ringed up in swa from post to post.
As malc said smaller size Swa. 16 Amp blue plug job so you can swap vans with ease -_-
Each post had a Spike(TT)

Some questions first.
1/ The suppliers intake fuse at the pole is what?
2/ Type of earthing?
3/ Is there an isolator?
4/ Does caravan outlet require the full 32A?
5/ What type of cable do you propose to run from the supplier's fuse?

thanks for reply
The suppliers intake will be 100A 3-phase,due to another building that will need power in the future
It will be a TT arrangement & cable will be run underground in swa.

I thought 32A just to cover it as i`m not sure what appliances the vans are equiped with but 16A would make things easier.Has anyone got ideas on cable size if it was based on 16A Ring

a general rule of thumb to calculate the CSA for a ring Main is to multiply the protection device by 0.67 so for instance a 60amp BS 1361 fuse would give you 40.2 amps, so you would use instead of say a 10mm SWA buried for the 60amp supply you would use a 6mm rated at 46amps.

This is a pretty good guide but the main thing is to try and balance it the best you can

Reply to Caravan park installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net