Discuss Caravan Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Graeme Harrold

Followng on from from a previous question regarding certs, Im just about to embark on a load of periodics on static caravans on site.

Site supply is a comunal TT, but the actual incommer to the unit will be a supplied earth. Do I treat this as a TT or a simply as a supplied earth?

On a positive, seems like inspection of private motor homes and caravans is going to be made mandatory in the near future :D

It is covered in 7671 -08 not sure about the earthing but I know a man that does - Lenny or Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
On a positive, seems like inspection of private motor homes and caravans is going to be made mandatory in the near future :D

The National Caravan Council is the group who are trying to bring in the requirement for PIR's on caravans by having sites refuse electric hook up if the caravan does not have a valid PIR. Hardly a mandatory thing but more of a money making scheme for caravan engineers who have attended a Skills active / CITO two day course that turns them into electrical experts who can carry out PIR's

Been debated on a number of caravan forums and it is quite funny when you question the electrical abilities of the caravan experts

The National Caravan Council is the group who are trying to bring in the requirement for PIR's on caravans by having sites refuse electric hook up if the caravan does not have a valid PIR. Hardly a mandatory thing but more of a money making scheme for caravan engineers who have attended a Skills active / CITO two day course that turns them into electrical experts who can carry out PIR's

Been debated on a number of caravan forums and it is quite funny when you question the electrical abilities of the caravan experts

thats where I found the info too. hopefully get a slice of the inspections too :D

I tested a few static vans last year and Ze at each van was very poor. I found that all vans had a 10mm main earth conductor from CU to chassis clipped along one runner to the hitch end , I cut this free and used it to an earth rod, the supply came from dist board in a nearby building via SWA underground the armour was used as earth into the CU but like I said ZE was poor, I have also been told that it is not unusuall for the whole van and chassis to become live in the event of a fault if the earth is not up to the mark
Mac

I tested a few static vans last year and Ze at each van was very poor. I found that all vans had a 10mm main earth conductor from CU to chassis clipped along one runner to the hitch end
this is wired in as an equipotential bond, also the way that statics are made is that the outer tin is stapled direct to the chassis so that if the chassis/tin should become live the rcd main switch will operate. a static is usually fed from a stantion next to the unit, the caravan should have an earth electrode installed for it.

Reply to Caravan Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net