• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Career change advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.

Looking for some straight up answers as Google is an absolute mine field when it comes to this kind of stuff. All I get when I ask is "Become a qualified Electrician in 5 days!"

I'm 25, currently self employed in another trade and doing a dead end job to make ends meet. I really don't enjoy either of the jobs and I'm looking to become a mainly domestic electrician. I'm not interested in making mega bucks and would just like to work for meself fitting consumer units and doing rewires.

I'm starting the C&G 2365 soon, I know it'll be a bit of a long slog but my reasoning is it will be worth it in the end.

My question is, what else do I need after that's completed to go self employed as a domestic sparkie? I've got some places telling me I need Part P and testing, then some places telling me I need AM2 and a gold card.

I'm not interested in working onsite for the time being, I would be very happy making just enough to survive pootling about in me van doing rewires and what not whilst I broaden my horizons at my own pace. Like I said, I'm not interested in making huge money, just a bit of job satisfaction.

Oh and also, I've got some authorisations from the local DNO to work on cut outs/pull fuses etc. Is it worth keeping them with the route I want to take?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've got some places telling me I need Part P and testing
Part P is not an electrical qualification,its approved document P which is a small part of the building regulations
It has been known for people,mostly people in your position to take some kind of examination on that building reg document,they obtain a qualification of sorts then say they are Part P qualified o_O

Testing is an integral part of what it is to be an electrician,all installation work requires testing and all electricians should have that knowledge
There are City and Guilds examinations that when passed,they give an indication that the person holding the testing qualification has met a particular standard,it is not essential but is a feather in your cap should you haveit on paper

There is nothing whatsoever stopping anyone from becoming a self employed domestic electrician,there are no requirements to be registered,apprenticed,or even to have undergone any sort of training,it is not a protected occupation and is open to anyone who may think they are competent

I've got some places telling me I need Part P and testing
Part P is not an electrical qualification,its approved document P which is a small part of the building regulations
It has been known for people,mostly people in your position to take some kind of examination on that building reg document,they obtain a qualification of sorts then say they are Part P qualified o_O

Testing is an integral part of what it is to be an electrician,all installation work requires testing and all electricians should have that knowledge
There are City and Guilds examinations that when passed,they give an indication that the person holding the testing qualification has met a particular standard,it is not essential but is a feather in your cap should you haveit on paper

There is nothing whatsoever stopping anyone from becoming a self employed domestic electrician,there are no requirements to be registered,apprenticed,or even to have undergone any sort of training,it is not a protected occupation and is open to anyone who may think they are competent
True, sadly

I'm currently coming to the end of my 2365, it is quite good at going over the essentials to understand calculations and electrical theories, and setting you up for potential further development into more design orientated (if you do the level 3, at least - the level 2 is fairly basic).

Part P used to be "quite difficult" apparently because it was done via BPEC and was more for plumbers, but now there's a C&G (2393) online exam that's a piece of cake.

17th Edition, or 18th next year, will be essential. If you want to sign off your own work then 2391 (which is back now, it was this before, and got split into 2394/95 but it has now reverted back to 2391) is another essential. Kind of. As has been stated, you don't actually need these qualifications, they are just the conventional method of showing you know your stuff. Or can take an exam, at least ;)

Can't believe this hasn't been said yet the most important thing EXPERIENCE!!! Don't think you can sit and exam and then just go off on your own, some do and we see the results of this day in day out.... rant complete (sorry bad day) :oops:

Reply to Career change advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back