Discuss Career change, Commercial & Domestic Electrician Training Route advice?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I am actively seeking a career change as an Electrician. Other than wiring up sockets and light switches that I taught myself using a book (old school) ! I have no experience or formal training.
I have enquired with several training companies now for a complete start from the bottom package to obtain JIB/ECS Gold card and the results are a bit over whelming. NVQ Level 3 Package prices range from £7-10k to be a fully qualified Electrician. They all talk the talk and sound amazing but to be perfectly honest I am cautious about making such a big investment before I chat to some professions such as yourselves, and ideally someone that perhaps has just qualified themselves and can discuss the route they took and an idea of total cost? I am interested in both being trained in commercial and domestic to keep my options open for future employment, I am 44 now and I worry that as soon as I cut ties with my current employer there is no going back so its a case of now or never. Thanks for taking to time to read my post and please any information and links that you can send with be greatly appreciated.
Thanks J

To become a Gold Card electrican you will have to achieve the level 2 2365 then the level 3 2365 once you completed this you will then go for your NVQ level 3 where this will be portfolio based where you will have to be in work, then after this you will have to do your AM2.

Any package offering you "Become a gold card electrican for 7k or whatever it is ignore. Fellas on here took 4 to 5 years learning with many still learning today.

Enrol in to college part time while offering your services as a mate.

Thanks for your reply, the training centres offering those courses have not said it would happen over night, they do state several years and they did highlight that the level 3 would be portfolio based on the job ongoing training, they offer help with finding employment as a trainee to fulfill this period of training, I just don't know what is the norm with cost etc

Reply to Career change, Commercial & Domestic Electrician Training Route advice?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock