Discuss Career Change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am currently working as an Engineer for a large aircraft firm. I am self employed as a ltd company and work away from home a lot of the time. Work is drying up, I estimate i had 6-24 months left then I will be laid off. With very little alternative work for my skill set.

Recently I have rewired my kitchen, installed fresh circuits to loft conversion and replaced an old fused CU with a modern one. (All signed off for building regs). I enjoyed this work very much and am considering re-skilling into electrics.

Due to current shift work I have plenty of time for home study, I can also attend the odd week at college or a training center.

I have 4 children so cannot simply be a student or an apprentice whilst learning.

I am currently thinking of the following, it all depends how long my current contract stays open for!

Attend a local C&G 2397 course for domestic installation, cost is £3k and is completed over 224 hrs of training. Its a level 3 course which meets the criteria for registration purposes. Could attend this over the next 6 months.

Then.......... If laid off I could keep my head above water, would mean only domestic work and become an electricians mate to gain relevant experience, possibly day release if income allows. With the intention of going solo after sufficient domestic experience is gained.

Or......... If not laid off I can I can look at doing the 2365 lvl 2 & 3 on a home study basis, whilst working as an electricians mate during time off shift. I work 4 on 6 off, so plenty of time to spend learning.

Reply to Career Change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock