Discuss catinery to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. Quick bit of advice.
Just gone out to dad's to fit a garage supply using it for part p assement. He was supposed to be sorting a metal support for me ready and he hasn't got the pieces. Now he wants to do it on catinery gap is about 2.5m using bit of 10mm swa I had left over.

Any regulations I need to be aware of regards the catinery?

I left my osg and Regs book at home. Never had to fit a catinery before. Always gone underground or solid unistrut frames etc at work.

Hi. Quick bit of advice.
Just gone out to dad's to fit a garage supply using it for part p assement. He was supposed to be sorting a metal support for me ready and he hasn't got the pieces. Now he wants to do it on catinery gap is about 2.5m using bit of 10mm swa I had left over.

Any regulations I need to be aware of regards the catinery?

I left my osg and Regs book at home. Never had to fit a catinery before. Always gone underground or solid unistrut frames etc at work.
Simples, although I would use a longer screw than the one in the video

Last edited:
Thankyou very much for replying.
It's just a path round the house to the back between house and garage and a flower bed.
Not sure I can realistically put it 3.5m up. Although 3m is achievable. Any thoughts on part p assement regards that?

Thankyou very much for replying.
It's just a path round the house to the back between house and garage and a flower bed.
Not sure I can realistically put it 3.5m up. Although 3m is achievable. Any thoughts on part p assement regards that?
Having never had any need for Part P in my career I'm afraid my answer would be no, but there are others on the forum who will be able to help I'm sure

I don't think that there are any minimum height requirements in the regs apart from special locations. General rules would apply regarding suitability for environment, likelihood of damage from impact etc.

if my memory is correct there are some heights mentioned - but if its a bungalow you can't comply...... so common sense applies

Tip - don't think you can fit one properly without a tensioner!

Overhead cable heights are still in OSG, Table D2 has the 3.5m reference. Being less than this may be assessment risk, but as long as you are aware what it should be (if asked) and the installation doesn't seem too low (so doesn't attract attention) ... well I've not seen an Assessor with a tape measure :)

Overhead cable heights are still in OSG, Table D2 has the 3.5m reference. Being less than this may be assessment risk, but as long as you are aware what it should be (if asked) and the installation doesn't seem too low (so doesn't attract attention) ... well I've not seen an Assessor with a tape measure :)

The heights are copied from those required in certain special locations but there are no general requirements for catenary heights.
A bit like buried cable depths outside special locations, it is guidance and best practice but not a specific regulation requiring an actual specified height/depth.

Any thoughts on part p assement regards tha
If you mean CPS assessment I think a garage supply presents one of the more complex and controversial installations and you have to consider quite a lot of things for it. The likliehood is the assessor especially from Nice ic will disagree with whatever you do. I would show them a bell circuit (especially the wireless one) or something simple.

If you mean CPS assessment I think a garage supply presents one of the more complex and controversial installations and you have to consider quite a lot of things for it. The likliehood is the assessor especially from Nice ic will disagree with whatever you do. I would show them a bell circuit (especially the wireless one) or something simple.
I despair, why do people think the NICEIC are the B all and all of things the NICEIC are after after your money, if you know you are within the constraints of BS 7671 go to one of the other scams, about time the Electrical Installation industry got wise to these money pits and went the same way as the Gas industry Gas safe Electric safe" save all these differing interpretations of BS 7671 Rant over:eek::mad::mad::imp::imp:

I despair
Nil Desperanum @Pete99 I happen to intensely dislike Nice ic. I by no means consider them to be the bees knees. I hate the CPS schemes they are a means to an end and I am sad to have to pass the cost over to customers. The fact is in the real world which these people in ivory tower have only ever heard of, there are many egregious examples I have encountered of poor and dangerous wiring. None of these schemes have done anything to stop this, just enriched themselves and becoming more arrogant by the million. Niceic are one of the most arrogant schemes/people I have had the displeasure to deal with. So don't count me as one of them who think dah dah dah....

I am enjoying all the responses. It's for stroma who require two new circuits. Easiest way was dad's garage. Will be three new circuits. Submains, sockets and lights.
It's my first foray into cps schemes. Only getting it because Im starting a loft conversion April. Company doing it were happy for me to wire it myself providing I was part p. Plus it will be a big part of getting ready to work for myself potentially in the near future.
Did manage to get it 3.5m on house side. Drops down gradually toward garage but the path is tight to the house.

Nil Desperanum @Pete99 I happen to intensely dislike Nice ic. I by no means consider them to be the bees knees. I hate the CPS schemes they are a means to an end and I am sad to have to pass the cost over to customers. The fact is in the real world which these people in ivory tower have only ever heard of, there are many egregious examples I have encountered of poor and dangerous wiring. None of these schemes have done anything to stop this, just enriched themselves and becoming more arrogant by the million. Niceic are one of the most arrogant schemes/people I have had the displeasure to deal with. So don't count me as one of them who think dah dah dah....
I think it depends upon the area engineer you have the first on I had to deal with was very black and white on the regs and what he put down on the report the second one we had was very much been there done that got his hands dirty in the past understood the practicalities more .

Reply to catinery to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock