Discuss Caught out with new storage heaters... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
During a flat renovation i removed and skipped a very old and battered storage heater and ordered one of the new super expensive (customer nearly had a heart attack) storage heaters, assuming it would go right in place.

Only discovered earlier they need a dual ----ing feed!!

Its not really feasable getting a normal feed, as its concrete floors etc.

Im assuming the best option now is to just move the feed to day rate and fit one of these eco day rate electric rads?

What morons thought it would be a good idea to ban the old style rads, and introduce new rads which need a second supply....

Yes thinking about it now, for smart functions to work, they are going to need power during the day time...

Anyone else got caught out with these?

During a flat renovation i removed and skipped a very old and battered storage heater and ordered one of the new super expensive (customer nearly had a heart attack) storage heaters, assuming it would go right in place.

Only discovered earlier they need a dual ****ing feed!!

Its not really feasable getting a normal feed, as its concrete floors etc.

Im assuming the best option now is to just move the feed to day rate and fit one of these eco day rate electric rads?

What morons thought it would be a good idea to ban the old style rads, and introduce new rads which need a second supply....

Yes thinking about it now, for smart functions to work, they are going to need power during the day time...

Anyone else got caught out with these?
Why not just install a standard NSH?

Just put the one connection to it.

back in the 60's,as an apprentice, i remember the company i worked for had a massive project to replace/repair their night storage heaters. they were an innovation at the time, being water filled instead of bricks, so lightweight when empty for ease of installation, but the problem was corrosion. we were driving all over Scotland in a BMC J4 van, sleeping in the van and getting paid lodging out allowance that was double what our wages were. happy days. :D.

I must admit I am very confused with these storage heater changes ...

Anybody got any links they can post to help educate us?

^^ thanks mate ........... sounds like a load of waffle with little detail ......... don't think I've seen anything about this before now and its September 2018!

You're welcome mate, yes it's a strange one and so frustrating when someone has a house full of decent storage heaters and wants one more, there are still a few out there but not many!

Fitted 2 last week, had to wire normal supplies for both of them. Used to enjoy N/S heater swaps, nice and easy. Now having to get extra wiring in takes the fun away somewhat. Yet more EU meddling. The things had quite a lot of small electronics, which is never a good idea inside a heater. There is a block of new-ish flats near here with electronics filled storage heaters, have had to replace the PCBs in loads of the heaters, not reliable at all.

I fitted a load of them as replacements. As it turns out the job was planned and second feed also planned. They do work well and the instant heat section is IMO essential in some circumstances to get by the "cold evening" problem.
For the instant heater part, those second elements are not so powerful, so you may be able to sneak the odd one of them off sockets circuit, depending if you decide there is adequate capacity.

Reply to Caught out with new storage heaters... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock