Discuss cctv novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Want to be able to add cctv installation to what I can offer on rewires etc.
never done anything cctv related or read much about it before now

If I was to buy this kit:

4 Camera IP Eclipse CCTV Kit With 1080p IP Anti Vandal 2.8-12mm Varifocal Dome Cameras in Graphite - http://www.miecctv.co.uk/4-ip-camera-kits/4-camera-ip-eclipse-cctv-kit-with-1080p-ip-anti-vandal-28-12mm-varifocal-dome-cameras-in-graphite.html

so locate the NVR in a position- then cat5/6 from each camera back to the NVR
also a cat5/6 from the router back to NVR

is this a good kit to get? and good price?

few questions:

whats difference between varifocal or fixed cameras- can varifocal cameras be directed from the monitor?

does this kit need a monitor or is that just an opinional extra? say if the customer just wanted to view it on their phone or computer?

Varifocal are adjustable in range. A 6mm lense will have more 'zoom' then a 2.8mm. A 2.8mm will have a wider field of view.

Only PTZ cams can be moved, these start from £120 per cam for a chinese import.

You don't need a screen, just use one of the apps online it log into the camera UI bu putting the IP address into your browser.

It's easy, I have 4 cams now at home all recording 24/7 with remote access. You need a really good upload speed to remote access at full resolution though.

Hickvision is a great choice as you can get grey imports for little money.

POE makes installation a doddle.

You will have to do a little router configuration to open ports for remote access so a little IT knowlage will help.

However, I taught myself all this in a day or so it's not difficult.

I'm not a pro installer, just a hobbyists.

HTH.

Last edited:
That looks ok to me but I've got a feeling night vision maybe a little poor unless it's really close to the object your watching.

But you can fix that with addition IR if needed.

One other tip, although I'm not an expert on the subject of CCTV - always take the night vision distance figures with a pinch of salt!
Also, decide whether remote PTZ will actually be any use in practice - will you be watching and ready to use it?
Daz

Varifocal are adjustable in range. A 6mm lense will have more 'zoom' then a 2.8mm. A 2.8mm will have a wider field of view.

Only PTZ cams can be moved, these start from £120 per cam for a chinese import.

You don't need a screen, just use one of the apps online or log into the camera UI by putting the IP address into your browser.

It's easy, I have 4 cams now at home all recording 24/7 with remote access. You need a really good upload speed to remote access at full resolution though.

Hickvision is a great choice as you can get grey imports for little money.

POE makes installation a doddle.

You will have to do a little router configuration to open ports for remote access so a little IT knowlage will help.

However, I taught myself all this in a day or so it's not difficult.

I'm not a pro installer, just a hobbyists.

HTH.

IVE CORRECTED MY FAT FINGERED MISTAKES IN THE QUOTE.

Reply to cctv novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net