Discuss CE mark for self designed/assembled Special FX triggers/relays... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Deuce

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

A question about regulation...

I design and assemble fairly basic mobile kit used to trigger SFX, which is part of my work. The devices are fairly straight-forward, typically an 8 way IP enclosure with a 12vdc transformer and a timer relay to respond to signal input from the FX trigger button, and a second relay to switch the mains or 12v power on/off however configured.

The design is extremely basic and well within my understanding. Each design is also examined and tested by a qualified spark initially and then tested each year. We also visually check all kit before use.

So... I have no doubts our equipment is safe. But what I don't know is if we should should be getting these designs CE marked? It's a bit of a nightmare for us as we often have to change components as the demands on the equipment we use can change based on how many FX devices they control, or simply how we wish them in operate in a specific situation. So there is no constant design template as such, and of course, our prices are gonna shoot up if we have to get the whole device re assessed and certified each time we swap one relay for another type. I see the reason for scheme, it's one thing to run off thousands of identical components for the mass market, but when we make just 1 or 2 of each design and pretty much rely on them being modified on site... How can that work?

Obviously the components are themselves all certified, and in a certified enclosure and the wiring checked and tested. But is that enough?

A key thing to add is that sometimes we leave the kit on site, on hire, for operation by the hirer. So I can't claim 'own use only'.

EDIT: I have tried to google this fairly extensively, but whatever search term I used brings up endless regs about pyrotechnic SFX. Not regs for the custom made electrical kit cobbled together to get other SFX types to essentially turn on or off on cue.

I design and assemble fairly basic mobile kit used to trigger SFX, which is part of my work. The devices are fairly straight-forward, typically an 8 way IP enclosure with a 12vdc transformer.

First you should learn something about what you are designing/selling.

Transformers are AC devices which change voltage by electromagnetic induction. There is no such thing as a DC transformer.

DC power supply perhaps, but definitely not DC transformer.

First you should learn something about what you are designing/selling.

Transformers are AC devices which change voltage by electromagnetic induction. There is no such thing as a DC transformer.

DC power supply perhaps, but definitely not DC transformer.

It's OK I am aware of the difference, we use both DC power supplies and transformers in the same assemblies quite often, just a slip as we order both from a company called JMS 'transformers' ;)

Did you have any input on the question posed? Stuck between this kit needing to be CE marked as a 'product' which I don't think it strictly is. Or inspected on site each time once in situ as a temporary installation. I suspect the latter as we often have to make small changes to the components in between each use.

Do you sell these bits of kit?

Not sold no, but we rent special FX solutions which are in part comprised of the modular electrical kit we use to control the FX in various ways. So if anything were ever to go wrong in a big way, i'm sure a semi sharp lawyer might argue they were 'leased/rented' which for purposes of CE is the same as being sold.

You need to CE mark them, or if you don't know how get somebody in to do it.

Small changes in design will not be an issue. As long as the function doesn't wildly change.

You need to CE mark them, or if you don't know how get somebody in to do it.

Small changes in design will not be an issue. As long as the function doesn't wildly change.

Is there a reason it can't just be inspected and tested as a temporary installation? I would have thought that component and essentially function changes would be an issues with CE.

As it happens, I have just discovered this: https://www.richmond.gov.uk/media/7466/bs7909_guidance_document.pdf

Which leads me to believe (hope) that so long as all equipment can be checked, verified and tested inline with BS 7909 then that is all required or expected. We have previously been having the kit designed and assembled with staged inspections by a local spark, leading to them testing ahead of the kit being used. Essentially making them the responsible person (and as such, they have final say over component and design). We are just the assemblers and have do the mechanical/stress testing.

It seems that for anything hired and left on site though, we need to have the entire system examined and checked for conformity, PAT tested etc and check the supply. A lot of this happens routinely when we work in TV & Film studios but less so when we install for events and exhibitions. So I think our routine needs to change a little.

Reply to CE mark for self designed/assembled Special FX triggers/relays... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock