Discuss Ceiling fan or air con unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have quite a warm upstairs in the summer as we sleep in the loft.

We are thinking of getting either a ceiling fan or small air-con unit such as in the link below.

Does anyone have any advice as to which is better for keeping cool overnight?

Thanks.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/9k-btu-mobile-ac/8667k

A through flow of air is probably the cheapest and easiest method of cooling a loft space.
A fan will only feel cool if it is blowing directly on you otherwise you do not get the evaporation effect.
Mobile air conditioners are noisy so if you sleep lightly they may not be ideal. 65dB is as if someone were talking in the room constantly.
Evaporative coolers need topping up with water or ice, ones that have a refrigerant unit are more effective but need more power and need to be ducted outside and on the mobile ones can just mean all the cool air is used to cool the air con as the cooled air is blown out.
The most effective but most expensive and complicated to install are split units that have the heated part outside and are permanently installed, fitting the fan unit on a loft level height may be complex.

We are thinking of getting either a ceiling fan or small air-con unit such as in the link below.

Thanks.

You will need to vent that outside

Thanks.

Use a Desert cooler!

In that loft,you will have the hottest air at the top of the room...the air less than a foot beyond,is at outside temperature.

...It might be cheaper than AC...;)

In that loft,you will have the hottest air at the top of the room...the air less than a foot beyond,is at outside temperature.

.......and employ a punkah wallah at the top of the stairs, maybe.

.......and employ a punkah wallah at the top of the stairs, maybe.

I showed my lad,an episode of "Ain't half hot,mum" and he commented ,that it was "...the polar opposite of everything we learnt in diversity studies,dad..."

It is,what it is,son...:)

Agree with the earlier posts here about a proper AC unit, However if you get to the stage where the heat is intolorable and you have to have something the portable units do work to a certain degree. I have one in my lounge and it makes the room cold, they can be noisy so you may want ear plugs lol, a fan never works imo, unless you spray yourself with water and have the fan a foot from your face. I would suggest the temp unit if money is an option, if you can find more go for a proper unit.

Our bedroom is in the loft and is also south facing with a dormer window. Originally it had velux windows. Removing 3 velux windows and installing a dormer improved it , also fitted a ceiling fan above the bed. This also works, we would open the windows before we went to bed and put the fan on full blast before putting it on slow speed to go to sleep, its still noisy though. Since i now do a/c as part of my business it was straight forward to install a split a/c unit. This is the ultimate as you can put it on whisper mode and its brilliant for a good nights sleep.

You could be right there!
Sounds like a weekend project!
I’ll try a split air-con unit if it isn’t enough, thanks.

Would this fan be ok for two rooms of 20 & 9 square meters, with a vent in the ceiling of each room do you think?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/manrose-mf100-25w-100mm-mixed-flow-fan/26867

This also works, we would open the windows before we went to bed and put the fan on full blast before putting it on slow speed to go to sleep, its still noisy though. Since i now do a/c as part of my business it was straight forward to install a split a/c unit. This is the ultimate as you can put it on whisper mode and its brilliant for a good nights sleep.

A fan on full blast will not cool an empty room. It just blows air about and actually warms it as the electricity used to power it is turned to heat. A fan works by blowing air across a warm body (you) and thus cooling it (you).

Reply to Ceiling fan or air con unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net