Discuss Ceiling lighting advice for novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
Found myself here as I am looking for some advice on ceiling lights and it seemed like a friendly place!!

I have a very dark kitchen with only 1 ceiling light. I really don't like the commercial spot light fixtures and would like to replace the single light with a few recessed down-lights. As the floor above is not really accessible, I intend to build a partial false ceiling from MDF, paint and attach to the existing ceiling. I figured this would be easier that chasing out the ceiling or trying to drill through joists from the underside. My question therefore is this, can I just wire up 6 recessed down-lights from this 1 set of wires for the existing light? and if so, how do I go about doing this? I guess I need to ask if I am actually allowed to do this also? The idea would be do have all the wiring/connectors in the hollow I would be creating in the false ceiling. I could make this accessible or not, depending on regulations. (for example, I could screw the false ceiling into place, paint but use caps so it's removable if need be.)

Many thanks and look forward to reading any replies. Would be a great help.

Just out of interest, have you thought about track lighting? A strip running the length of the kitchen fed from the existing lighting position with multiple LED spotlights lighting the kitchen.

Just out of interest, have you thought about track lighting? A strip running the length of the kitchen fed from the existing lighting position with multiple LED spotlights lighting the kitchen.

I had thought about it, but again, I think they are just spots?? no? I would like something that gives off a more ambient light I guess. I thought that recessed ceiling lights (larger ones) would do this, if I could.

ps...also, I figured my false ceiling kind a thing would mask the hole I would leave having taken out the old fitting. Will take another look at them though.

4x2 timber all round and at 16ins centres half ins plasterboard on that .cables in beforehand ,job done

Yeah, I can do the woodwork and plasterboards stuff, it's the wiring I have no clue about. How do I wire from 1 existing fitting to 6 or 8 down-lights? Sorry, It's probably very obvious but I have no clue. As in I have 3 wires, yet potentially 6 lights to wire from it? Do I just use a junction box and daisy chain em from there?

Use plasterboard as it has more fire retardant properties than MDF.
'Daisy Chain' is wiring from one light to another, then another. Not all from one junction box.
If you have not done any electrical work before how are you going to test the circuit?
How confident are you with wiring up lights?
You could get a track light with light that have a more angled light than 'just spots'.

Yeah, I can do the woodwork and plasterboards stuff, it's the wiring I have no clue about. How do I wire from 1 existing fitting to 6 or 8 down-lights? Sorry, It's probably very obvious but I have no clue. As in I have 3 wires, yet potentially 6 lights to wire from it? Do I just use a junction box and daisy chain em from there?
I guessing you mean 3 sets of twin and earth cables? Meaning 1x perm feed in, neutral and earth 1x perm. Feed out, neutral and earth. 1x perm. Feed to switch (normally red/brown) , switch line from switch to fitting (normally black/blue) and earth. You want to keep the 2x perm feed together along with the feed to switch. Both the neutrals plus a new neutral from a new run of twin and earth. Connect the switch line from switch with live of new twin and earth and then daisy chain.

Edit: obviously connect all the earths together.

Last edited:
Trouble is, I can't see from here what's what so this is all speculation. is it going to be properly terminated? adequate supply? the list could go on. If your not sure, get someone who does know.

Wow. I have no idea what you said, sorry mr2 gd4u!!

Can I just wire up the existing 3 wires into a junction box, then come out of it to 6 separate lights? I guess I just figured as the wiring is there, its just a case of extending it and coming off it?

If I can't do this myself, then what kind of cost to do any wiring? Thank you!!!!

Wow. I have no idea what you said, sorry mr2 gd4u!!

Can I just wire up the existing 3 wires into a junction box, then come out of it to 6 separate lights? I guess I just figured as the wiring is there, its just a case of extending it and coming off it?

If I can't do this myself, then what kind of cost to do any wiring? Thank you!!!!
By that answer I would say get someone in. I'd say min. £250 depending on area

Yes, just run the cable from one light to the next instead of running 6 cables to the one point.

Sorry again, how do I do that? if i have 3 wires to a wago box, then 3 wires from that to the first light, where do the wires come from to the other 5 lights? I'm sorry to be so stupid on this, I can do it, just need specific instruction like you would give to a robot!!!

Reply to Ceiling lighting advice for novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net