Discuss Ceiling mounted socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am trying to get wifi coverage through out a 3 story building. The problem is that ideally I need a wifi repeater mounted on a first floor ceiling next to an emergency light. The ceiling has big plaster coving all round the edges.

The problem is getting the power to the wifi repeaters power adapter (30watts) which has a 230vac plug integrated into it.

So first is it acceptable to add a fused spur and a single socket mounted on the ceiling to then plug in the wifi repeaters power adapter into?

Any ideas on a neater solution as I don't really like the idea of a black power adapter on the ceiling?

Thanks for any ideas.

sent you a pm.

Powerline adapters? why can't you plu it in up stairs?
Can't plug in upstairs as no power sockets available as building is holiday apartments.
Powerline repeaters have been considered but really need 2 ssid's to ensure guests on 'different' network to business computers.
Thanks for suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

sent you a pm.
Cheers Tel, as always the voice of wisdom.
Thanks.

Sockets on the ceiling might be ok with a 13a plug but now with a power adaptor, too heavy and will fall out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sockets on the seiling might be ok with a 13a plug but now with a power adaptor, too heavy and will fall out.
You might well be right, it is a switched mode psu so very light. It's not one of the old fashioned heavy brick type ones.
I think I will have to try the power adapter in an unconnected socket and hold it upside down and shake it about and see if it comes loose.
Cheers for the warning.

Not sure of your network requirements and your proposed equipment but have you explored using space diverse antennas to increase the gain on your wireless network equipment or the possibility of using POE (power over ethernet) AP's with ethernet power injectors so power can be supplied remotely

You could always find a shallow but fat (say 3" x 8"x8" sort of size) adaptable box, fit all the power stuff inside it and then bolt the repeater onto the lid. No leads on show at all, and it's secure (without tools).

Cheers for the help. Plastic adaptable type box is one of my considerations.

I think I am going for Open Mesh devices. The reason is that you have 1 mesh router connected to your router via cat5 then add repeaters that just require power and they retransmit the wifi signals. The speed will reduce by 50% with each 'hop' ie 1 repeater to the mesh router = 50% speed reduction but that is from 150Mbps to 75Mbps. If you have 2 'hops' i.e. repeater to repeater to mesh router = 25% of 150Mbps = 37.5Mbps. But our broadband is only 16Mbps so 2 hops wont be a problem. You can manage the Open Mesh devices via a single web portal, you can integrate paypal payments if you want, add a custom splash screen and then redirect to any url you require.
So overall Open Mesh devices seem easy to setup as only need 1 cat5 to Mesh router repeaters need to be within range of each other but just need power.
If anyone is interested I will post my experiences when I get them?

Cheers for the help. Plastic adaptable type box is one of my considerations.

I think I am going for Open Mesh devices. The reason is that you have 1 mesh router connected to your router via cat5 then add repeaters that just require power and they retransmit the wifi signals. The speed will reduce by 50% with each 'hop' ie 1 repeater to the mesh router = 50% speed reduction but that is from 150Mbps to 75Mbps. If you have 2 'hops' i.e. repeater to repeater to mesh router = 25% of 150Mbps = 37.5Mbps. But our broadband is only 16Mbps so 2 hops wont be a problem. You can manage the Open Mesh devices via a single web portal, you can integrate paypal payments if you want, add a custom splash screen and then redirect to any url you require.
So overall Open Mesh devices seem easy to setup as only need 1 cat5 to Mesh router repeaters need to be within range of each other but just need power.
If anyone is interested I will post my experiences when I get them?

Hmmm.....charging the kids and all their mates by the hour for wifi....now THAT sounds like a sound investment!

I you haven't already had a look at them, the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro products might be interesting - offer dual SSID etc and support for paid service provision, can support passive POE and 802.3af so NO need for local power

Not cheap at about £180 per unit but seem to be very well rated

I you haven't already had a look at them, the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro products might be interesting - offer dual SSID etc and support for paid service provision, can support passive POE and 802.3af so NO need for local power

Not cheap at about £180 per unit but seem to be very well rated
Thanks for the info. The Open Mesh ones are only about £70 each! The also support POE (via £9 box) but the real problem I have is getting cat5 cables where I would like. So the Open mesh OM2P boxes act as routers, repeaters, or bridges automatically! So if I need to extend wifi coverage I just have to plug an extra one in to power (within wifi range of another OM2P) and add it's mac address to my network and thats it. So hopefully very very simple.
I will have a look at the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro as they might offer something I had not thought about. Thanks.

Last edited:
If the unifi units live up to the hype I am hoping to replace the three existing consumer grade AP's i need today to get decent coverage with one of the unifi pro units and still get good coverage across the house and garden.

I have ordered one today so will see when it arrives next week.

Paul

If the unifi units live up to the hype I am hoping to replace the three existing consumer grade AP's i need today to get decent coverage with one of the unifi pro units and still get good coverage across the house and garden.
I have ordered one today so will see when it arrives next week.
Paul
That does sound good. Let me know how you get on if you can. The problem in our building is Victorian very thick walls that block wifi badly :) Plus it's 3 stories high with 10 ft ceilings.

I fitted some movement (building) sensors which the customer wanted concealed in a listed building with cornicing etc. They had to be accessible yet concealed and fitted without damaging anything. In the end it was done behind a short length of skirting to one side of the chimney breast in a bedroom. The skirting was replaced using cabinet clips so it looked the same as the rest of the room/house, but could be popped off to access the sensors at will.

Just to let you know. I ordered 2 Open Mesh OM2P devices (router, access point, repeater) on Wednesday afternoon. They arrived Thursday morning. I was guessing I might need 3 to cover the 3 story building.
The units are setup via a web site, this took 10 mins including creating a user account and registering the units. Temporarily installed 1 on front hallway as power was there and used a long cat5 (network) cable to my network. Then plugged the second in on second floor as there was power.
Bingo the 2 OM2P units are providing wifi coverage covering the complete building!!! Decent signal and speed.
I am amazed at their speed of installation, range and easy of use. First product in a long time that has exceeded my expectations. The guests have free wifi (the units are capable of accepting payments to access internet if required) I also have my private wifi network covering all the building (OM2P's can run 2 wifi networks simultaneously and keep private network private).
So no need for any additional sockets!

I would go so far as to say I am almost tempted to offer to 'install' wifi to other accommodation providers :)

Reply to Ceiling mounted socket? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock