Discuss Ceiling rose to downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some help, I’m thinking of changing our ceiling rose in middle of room to 2 sets of 4 downlights but want each 4 controlled by a switch so will need to replace to a 2 gang switch as only have a 1 gang, loop in and loop out of the ceiling rose, I’ve attached picture for ceiling rose to 4 downlights with joint box on picture but will be a Hager ashley downlighter junction box when I come to do work, but unsure the best way to do the next 4 downlights? Qualified spark but don’t do much houses, I know how to do it but proberly not the best way
Thanks

416FB480-65A2-44B0-A814-4208E1FEFD32.jpeg

So how do you think you should do it? It's easier to provide feedback on a plan than it is to write out a big how to or draw a fancy diagram... nice job BTW :)

You need another switch wire if you are going to have a 2 gang switch.
Possibly replace the current switch wire with 3 core and earth cable upto your joint box , link out the permanent live at the switch and use the black as 1 switch wire feeding 4 downlights and the grey as the other 4.

The cable that goes to the switch- change that to 3core and earth.
So then you’ll have a live and two separate switched lives going to your maintenance free junction box.
Then the second lot of down lights is a repeat of the first set.
But as a qualified spark you should know all that. That’s what they teach you in electricians junior school.

You need another switch wire if you are going to have a 2 gang switch.
Possibly replace the current switch wire with 3 core and earth cable upto your joint box , link out the permanent live at the switch and use the black as 1 switch wire feeding 4 downlights and the grey as the other 4.
Thanks that was one way I was thinking of most proberly the easiest thanks again

You could use wireless switching, change your switch for a 2 gang wireless job, behind new wirelss switch link line and switched line. or ignore existing cable and use the live and neitral at rose, but leave wire alone in case of later changes. then in ceiling you need to supply from existing rose via a enclosure a live and neutral for the wireless receivers, one does the first 4 downlights the other the 2nd set of 4. from each receiver run the t and e to the lights. cost for receivers and switch around £70. although if you buy MK echo range much more.

Out of interest, is the lighting circuit RCD protected?

Reply to Ceiling rose to downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net