Discuss Ceiling rose wiring confused me in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have no formal electrial qualifications, picked up bits and pieces as I have gone along.

I damaged my bathroom celing light, when I took out the 2D lamp, so I have had to replace it - and all is working.

However, the live wiring confused me. There were 4 permanent lives, linked together, as well as the swicth live. I am just wondering why there were 4 permanent lives, when i was expecting 3. The live from the previous light fitting, the live to the next light fitting and the live to the switch.

Neutral and Earth had 3, so just wondering where the 4th live wire came from.

Thanks if anyone can answer this.

You have a complete set of extra conductors.
So it could be that the lighting in two different rooms are fed from this rose?
Could be for a shaver socket, mirror light, heated mirror, bathroom cupboard, etc.
Or could be for an extractor fan which needs both permanent and switched live, with the switched live being taken from the switch rather than the rose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when the OP gets back to us and thanks us as well.

I learn as I go along. Life is full of knowledge.
it's just that some posters ask a question, get a sensible answer, then don't report back, never to be seen again. respect to you for your feedback.

I learn as I go along. Life is full of knowledge.

Life is full of experiences. It is remembering and applying what is learnt,from those experiences,which imparts knowledge!

Cheers for reply:biggrinjester:

Reply to Ceiling rose wiring confused me in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock