• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Ceiling speakers in cold deck roof. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to install ceiling speakers in the cold deck roof? I understand that cutting hole through (fully through) the insulation board is out of the question. Is it even doable even or does it have to be warm deck roof.

It's a flat roof with big flat roof windows. Same problem I understand is with downlights but they are much smaller in diameter.

I thought about putting ceiling speakers in my current house during refurb but decided against. Hifi gets out of date so quick better off with Wi-fi sound systems.

I’d have a chit chat with your building inspector before doing anything.

They do have differing points of view on the subject, but most don’t like you cutting holes in the insulation. Last few jobs I did like this, was to install an additional ceiling with void under the insulated space, with joist 90’ to the main joist (or should I say that’s what the customer elected to do), if you get my drift.

Hi, it's a new extension being build as we speak.... slowely I mean ;-)
Just finished first fixing my house. Just made sure I had plenty of CAT5/6 points. I’m no Hifi geek so decided that it would be a waste of time and effort and money sourcing ceiling speakers and chasing speaker cables especially with the aukward layout of my living room I still don’t know exact where the TV is going :confused:

It's the vcl barrier on the warm side that's the issue, if you get a vcl battened to the ceiling joists, then you can put the plasterboard on the battens and you have a nice service void on the warm side that you can fill with holes no issue. Cost for a sheet of plastic and some battens for a safe buildup.

Reply to Ceiling speakers in cold deck roof. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back