Discuss ceiling speakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
On the job I am doing atm- (the customer lives in Canada- untill the house is complete- so liaising with her can be tricky! - and the builder who I am subbying for is rubbish for answers!)

on the drawings by the tv in the new kitchen- it has 'digial/optical speaker cables' and then 2 ceiling speakers.

I am not clued up on speakers really!

is it a case of running Optical Digital Audio Cable (Toslink/SPDIF) - http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/products/17/optical_digital_audio_cable_(toslinkspdif)/ from the TV position to the speakers? and it plugs in either end?

if so- one cable from tv to EACH speaker, or to one and from there to the next

any advise would be great!

Hi J, those toslink cables are for low level optical signals and they themselves cannot energise speakers. They can be used to interconnect a/v equipment without using copper, which can be helpful for reducing earth loop hum for example. If they want speakers then I assume they will want speaker cables, the usual nice copper figure of 8 cables ... so I'd be writing an email to Customer just to confirm that's what's needed. Cheers, David.

And don't forget about the amplifier, in built with media centre or after output to get that sound up there. Powered amp input and output will be needed if the media centre is not powered output.

Hi J, those toslink cables are for low level optical signals and they themselves cannot energise speakers. They can be used to interconnect a/v equipment without using copper, which can be helpful for reducing earth loop hum for example. If they want speakers then I assume they will want speaker cables, the usual nice copper figure of 8 cables ... so I'd be writing an email to Customer just to confirm that's what's needed. Cheers, David.

never wired speaker before!
so 1 fig 8 cable from each speaker directly to tv? or do they have to go to a receiver/amp

And don't forget about the amplifier, in built with media centre or after output to get that sound up there. Powered amp input and output will be needed if the media centre is not powered output.
need it simple mate- never done speakers before

fig 8 cable from speaker to amp?
then what cable from tv to amp?

So that is the question - is there an amp / media centre and if so where is it? It would likely be linked to the speakers with speaker cable, one per. And the toslink cable may link it to tv, but you're going to need a drawing to follow or it will likely end in rework. Hope that helps, D.

You could try the AV forum and have a search around - you may need more info of the kit to go in but if putting ceiling speakers in then you could run the cables anyway as the power to get the signal up there will come from the media centre or amp therein. Check the speaker instructions as may need 2 cables to each because of the amount of channels per speaker, do a bit of research - you'll know twice as much by tomorrow .

Don't know. The items in the link are the Euro modules. You'll need to search the wonderweb to see if anyone makes a Euro module plate that meets your requirements.

I would make sure you and the customer both agree on EXACTLY what is needed. This has got all the hallmarks of the customer saying 'but I wanted it to di this...'. Daz

Reply to ceiling speakers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock