Discuss Central Heating and hot water programmer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ACOS

I am having trouble removing the front plate on a Newlec / Horstmann 425 Programmer. There is a backplate that has all the connections to it and a front plate with the timer control switches. I think it hinges or pushes into the connector on the back plate but am not sure. The later version seems to have two screws that retain the top of the f ront plate but this one has none visible.

I am having trouble removing the front plate on a Newlec / Horstmann 425 Programmer. There is a backplate that has all the connections to it and a front plate with the timer control switches. I think it hinges or pushes into the connector on the back plate but am not sure. The later version seems to have two screws that retain the top of the f ront plate but this one has none visible.

"Hello ACOS",

I have only seen the Horstmann 425 Programmer model that has 2 Screws on the Top which when undone allow the Programmer to hinge down from the Backplate - You mention that you know about these and that they are a Later Model than You have.

Can you actually See the Top of the Programmer ?

I have noticed in the past that Horstmann used to manufacture [have manufactured] Timeswitches and Room Thermostats where you had to actually Insert something into a couple of Slots which contained `Lugs` which had to be Pushed Down to disengage them from these Slots - at the same time removing the Thermostat / Timeswitch from the Backplate.

An example of this that still exists is the Horstmann DRT2 Programmable Room Thermostat - although it is simple enough to do when you know where the `Lugs` are - there is always the risk that you might break of these `Lugs` or one of them - it really is a Bad Design.

I would suggest that You try to see the Top of the Programmer as it can be easy to miss these indentations with just a finger - as they are usually so close to the Wall - and the `Lugs` almost fill them up.

I usually try the Top of a Biro Pen to start with [or 2 of] - if that will not push down the `Lugs` enough to release the Programmer / Room Thermostat a Screwdriver will - Gently.

This will obviously only be of any help IF You have NOT been able to actually SEE the Top of the Programmer - in that case I would imagine that what I described will be the answer - ?

Sorry that I did not see / reply to your Post sooner.

Regards,

Chris

Chris

Thank you very much that is a great help. It is possible that I have missed the two screws or lugs as you suggest.

Chris

Thank you very much that is a great help. It is possible that I have missed the two screws or lugs as you suggest.

"Hello ACOS",

You are welcome - If the Programmer is fairly High on the Wall or in a slightly inaccessible [By Steps] position it is easy to be frustrated by something as simple as this.

That is why I stated that this design was a Bad one - these `Lugs` can be awkward when you Can locate them easily ! - even if there are Screws these are sometimes tricky to get a Screwdriver onto if you cannot see them.

Good Luck in finding them and removing the Programmer.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris
Juts wanted you to know hat I found the two screws and hinged the old programmer out OK. It was just a faulty timer clock and the new unit fitted straight into the original back plate. All ow working OK - thanks again ... Alan

Hi Chris
Juts wanted you to know hat I found the two screws and hinged the old programmer out OK. It was just a faulty timer clock and the new unit fitted straight into the original back plate. All ow working OK - thanks again ... Alan

"Hello Alan",

Glad to have helped - I only saw your Post / Message Today - Saturday 11th - Thanks for letting Me know that you found the screws and managed to remove the Programmer.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to Central Heating and hot water programmer in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock