Discuss Central heating problem. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dutchy

calling all fellow Sparkys...this may or may not be an electrical issue, but I've noticed for the last few days the radiators in my house are all "luke warm".
I've done the obvious, like bleeding them all..and yes the room stat is turned up!....but they are all consistantly a mild temperature?...has anyone come across this problem before?..either at home, or at work?...any advice would be gratefully received given the current temperature!

Sounds like a faulty MV....not opening or closing fully.

Edit....Rads not on TRV's are they??....it's warmed up a lot last few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
it shouldn't be turned down...but I will check.... and next stop, the airing cupboard for the motorized valve!...many thanks to you both.

Whats the stat set at,and whats the temperature in the house?....if you have the stat set high and the house feels warm it may simply be that the TRV's are closing.

Check the operation of the valve...ie...stat down,valve closed,pump and boiler off. Stat up...valve opens,pump and boiler runs,pipe either side of valve gets hot.

did you take your gloves off before feeling the radiators? :lipsrsealed2:

Thanks wirepuller....I'll give that a try... please excuse my lack of knowledge on domestic heating (its embarrassing to be honest!)....I've always been a commercial/industrial sparks...so when it comes to 3 port valves, pumps etc... i'm a bit thick! ha ha.

Set your system to CH only and give it 10 mins if the flow pipe gets red hot but heat doesn't make it to the radiators either your pump is on it's way out or you have an air lock. Try draining down and refill to clear any air lock and turn your pump to maximum. Failing that have a look on ebay for new pump.
If your boiler keeps cutting out and restarting and the flow pipe isn't scolding hot I would go for either the high limit stat or temp stat in boiler is faulty, if you get boiler manual out (or from manufacturers website) there is a fault finding section which will list expected ohm readings for the stats.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Best to start at the beginning.
Is it one 3-port valve, or two zone valves?
Do the flow and return pipe coming out of the boiler get hot? What temperature would you say they get to before the boiler clicks off?
Is the boiler stat set high enough?
Proper working of motorised valves is easy to check.
1. Turn system off at the spur/plug.
2. Manually hook the lever(s) behind the catch, and release slowly.
3. Turn boiler stat, roomstat and cylinder stat to 90% of range, and create ch demand, and then dhw demand, and then turn off again. If the valve works, the valves work, the lever will have come away from the manual catch.

hi i had this problem turned out that it was a 1 pipe converted to 2 pipe when back boiler was taken out before we bought house and pipes that ran under rads hadnt been seperated so only getting heat by convextion once pipes seperated was red hot hope this helps

The valve lever will be floppy when the stat is calling ...check the pump is rotating by taking out the blead screw..check pump is at the correct speed sometimes turning it up for an hour clears any air locks in the system.

Reply to Central heating problem. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net