Discuss Central heating wiring diagram needed. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electromonkey

Hello all

I am currently re wiring a mansion that has an existing central heating system which on the whole is being kept with only a few alterations. All the existing wiring has been removed and so obviously requires re wiring.

The plumber who is carrying out the work says that the wiring design is out of his skill scope as is it with mine too. He is looking to get a large firm that normally deals with commercial heating in to do the work but I thought I may ask on here first to see if there is anyone who could supply me with a wiring diagram that I could then use to carry out the work and hopefully learn a few things along the way.

I have limited info at the moment as to what is present such as the number of tanks and pumps etc but can get that to you along with photos over the next couple of days.

What I am asking for would be paid work if needs be so if there is anyone out there who thinks they could/want to help then let me know via the thread or PM me with any questions or info you may have.

Many Thanks

That's a "how long is a piece of string" type question mate. You'd need to know how many controlled zones there are (combination of a stat and valve normally). There is almost certainly more than one boiler involved as well. As suggested by the Pb get an experienced heating engineering firm in. If it's a mansion there s/b an HVAC plan (heating ventilation air conditioning ... an American term that seems to be being adopted over here) with most of the detail needed.

Better to cut your teeth on something smaller to start with IMHO :)

There are stickies at the top of this forum for most of the standard types of system in use, have a peek at them for education.

Hi Topquark,

I do believe you were one of the helpful members aiding me with an install that had me scratching my head which turned out to be a blown fuse causing me grief if you remember?

Anyway, I don't feel as if I am out of my depth as such, it's just this would be the first installation of this type that I have encountered. I'm familiar with your regular S and Y plan systems and generally speaking, when it comes to brand new installs, there is always a diagram of some sort to go with it so when it comes to installs that I am not familiar with, I can revert to the paperwork to get me on track. It is for this reason that I wanted to see if I listed what was involved if there was anyone with the knowledge (like yourself) to draw up a plan for it. Something I could then follow and learn from. Although this house is very big, I don't feel daunted by the proposition of wiring the heating system providing I have instructions to take me through it.

Obviously to produce a wiring diagram for it would take time hence why I am offering to pay for it. My customers can easily afford to have the best of the best turn up and pay a fortune to have the work done so it isn't a problem if I can't do the work, I just see it as an opportunity to gain some experience.

It's not so much a question of being out of depth mate :) The principles are all "fairly simple". There is the maths to work out what heating each space requires (based on the volume)....that will require a certain BTU/Wattage. It's then a question of dividing that requirement up into "collections" that will be servicable by a boiler and zoneing accordingly (along with a thermostat to control the need for increasing the temp somewhere in that zone). It can be as simple as that. If you can get a copy of the heating plan for the mansion, then you may be able to work it out. There can be complications added with back boilers etc.

Best of luck if you decide to go with it (I wouldn't touch it on my own, although I understand what's involved).

Thanks for your replies Topquark.

I thought someone on here might have said if I get the info A B C D....they'll draw it up an it'll cost £X.

How wrong was I? Over 100 views and not a sausage! Lol

I'll draw anything for the right £... in AutoCAD, MSWord or hand-draghting. But, IMPO, you can't correctly draw something you can't see. You can visualise but it'll not be accurate. I'm not a heating engineer but I have seen or worked on a couple of systems, usually my own or a friend's. I have been in the electrical industry for over 16 years and learnt AutoCAD purely to get away from 'smoke packet' sketches! Hope you find someone soon.

Reply to Central heating wiring diagram needed. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net