Discuss certificates for builders and landlords in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Farky

I have been approached by a builder and asked to sign off work he has already done .I have niceic domestic installer status.Can I legally do it for him?
Also I have been asked to do a lanlords certificate for someone, is this just a periodic certificate ? And can I legally do this?thanks

Didn't they teach you about signing off work on your course? The bit about only being able to sign off work you yourself have done.

And yes a landlords certificate is a periodic but the NICEIC may not allow you to do them as a domestic installer, as Amp David said, talk to the NICEIC.

It's intended as a SELF certification scheme for competent persons. If your man was competent surely he would be a member, if he isn't competent then he should not be doing the work but it's your call.
As far as the EICR goes, once again it comes down to competency, if you're familiar with inspection and testing, which you should be, and you have the right insurance in case something goes pear shaped then get the test gear out mate. Closely followed by an invoice :)

I have been approached by a builder and asked to sign off work he has already done .I have niceic domestic installer status.Can I legally do it for him?
Also I have been asked to do a lanlords certificate for someone, is this just a periodic certificate ? And can I legally do this?thanks

In one word no, self certification schemes allow the design, installation and certification of your work only.

The NICEIC won't tolorate you giving a certificate for anyone else's work, you can do a periodic inspection but not give a completion certificate, my local engineer is martin toner and I have discussed this with him before, they won't be happy, I would suggest you don't consider it, in any case they shouldn't cut corners getting unregistered guys to install and then get professionals to sign their work off on the cheap, I don't like builders.

there are sparks out there that'll sign other peoples work off. i know a bloke who'll do it for £60. i wouldn't risk it myself. i'd pap my pants worrying about the poor bloke's gaff going up in flames. just remember - if it's your name on the paperwork, you're the one that's going to be shafted when it all goes breasts up.

Yeah I agree, however an NICEIC approved contractor shouldn't consider it. A professional contractor should never sign anyones work off, although a periodic inspection report is of course acceptable, although it may not satisfy local authority, message to builder:- please employ an electrician to carry out your works, not your DIY mate.

Hi, anyone can explain to junior what is the different degrees of niceic EICR certificate and non register EICR certificate by competent person.Please. regards, u9e

It's intended as a SELF certification scheme for competent persons. If your man was competent surely he would be a member, if he isn't competent then he should not be doing the work but it's your call.

Not necessarily so Trev, the electrician may well be normally employed on commercial project work. As such would hold JIB registration and probably be far more qualified and experienced than the OP!!

This is yet another area where this Part Pee crap scheme set-up falls on it's arse. You lot really do need a licensed registration system for ''Qualified'' Electricians, and get rid of these Scheme Providers once and for all!! lol!!!

Part P certification isn't just to confirm compliance with BS7671 - it also certifies compliance with all the relevant building regs.

Even if your JIB man has 30 years experience of wiring airports, factories and nuclear power stations he may not have a clue about where to drill holes, or the age old question, where to cut the >50mm chase in the wall in order to avoid those pesky RCDs :).

Pay the Building Control Inspection fee or join a scam. Simples.

Part P certification isn't just to confirm compliance with BS7671 - it also certifies compliance with all the relevant building regs.

Even if your JIB man has 30 years experience of wiring airports, factories and nuclear power stations he may not have a clue about where to drill holes, or the age old question, where to cut the >50mm chase in the wall in order to avoid those pesky RCDs :).

Fortunately, and Unlike today, an electrician 30 years ago would be and still is, more than capable of working in any section of our industry. Domestic was always considered as the arse end, as far as installation work and technical level was concerned . I don't think he'd have any problem of knowing where to drill holes in joists. But then again drilling holes anywhere in those matchstick joists they use these day's would weaken them... lol!!

your completely right of course.
after running a £1 million factory refit no way should i be let loose on drilling a few 20mm holes in someones bedroom.
;-)

were you also aware that the city & guilds qualification on building regs lasts 1 and a half days.
hardly sounds taxing does it ?

Nic domestic installer. Check whether you can carry out condition reports. Sign off other peoples work. No. Well , yes , but don't do it.

Reply to certificates for builders and landlords in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net