• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Certification advice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Basically a property has two electrical supplies. (It used to be two flats, now one property).

Client wants to keep both consumer units, with one as a sub main off the other.

There is not a whole amount on the top floor board as the kitchen etc is downstairs.
So a 40/50A submain will be more than enough. (Its just bedrooms and a bathroom, shower off boiler).

The electricity board want a electrical certificate of the work before they will remove the second supply.

Now im a little unsure as to what needs to go on the electrical cert.

As its essentially a new circuit/submain, however the second consumer unit and connected circuits are not new....

So do i need to do a full testing and certificate for the whole of the second consumer unit and connected circuits?
Or just the sub main feed?

Its not something that has cropped up before.

Cheers

Would imagine they want a cert for the CU that you are asking them to connect to.

The supply being removed is still in operation, I presume. Why do they want a certificate for removing a supply?
They'll need to disconnect before you can do the work.
You're only adding to the other existing installation.

EICR for the existing, maybe.

The supply being removed is still in operation, I presume. Why do they want a certificate for removing a supply?
They'll need to disconnect before you can do the work.
You're only adding to the other existing installation.

EICR for the existing, maybe.

Yes this is what confused me, the client has spoken to his supplier twice:
first time they asked for a certificate to show that nothing was connected to the supply - now this I've never heard of....

The second time today while i was there, and spoke to them myself, and they asked for a certificate for the work I'm doing.
And they won't send anyone out to remove the supply until they have this.

There is a double pole isolator after the meter, so i can just remove the existing tails from this, and connect my sub main.

But I'm just not really sure what i need to put on the certificate, and what relevance this has to the supply being removed.....

Basically a property has two electrical supplies. (It used to be two flats, now one property).

Client wants to keep both consumer units, with one as a sub main off the other.

There is not a whole amount on the top floor board as the kitchen etc is downstairs.
So a 40/50A submain will be more than enough. (Its just bedrooms and a bathroom, shower off boiler).

The electricity board want a electrical certificate of the work before they will remove the second supply.

Now im a little unsure as to what needs to go on the electrical cert.

As its essentially a new circuit/submain, however the second consumer unit and connected circuits are not new....

So do i need to do a full testing and certificate for the whole of the second consumer unit and connected circuits?
Or just the sub main feed?

Its not something that has cropped up before.

Cheers
If you are unsure which type of certificate is required ask the Electricity Board what they require! much better idea than asking Forum members, and getting conflicting ideas.

I would ask the supplier in an email - then they can reply by email.

I did this last year for a client - fortunately I scheduled my works to be on site the same day as the suppliers engineer came - we had a quick chat and both of us were happy with what was going on, and who was doing what.

Reply to Certification advice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back