Discuss Certification bodies - bit of help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Following on from another thread on here, can you please help me with a fundamental issue regarding certification bodies. Bear in mind we are new to this sector but not new businesses.

There are two owners of the business and neither are electricians (I’m one). Electricians are contracted to do work on our behalf.

We can/need to register the business with NAPIT, Stroma, EIC… etc. This is fine. However I cannot currently understand what we have to do from this viewpoint. They say they need to approve one of our electricians and this is around £300 to check they are competent. (Bizarrely, if we use someone from NAPIT, NAPIT will still charge us to assess them even though they have already been assessed by them!).

However this means that any new electrician will need to be assessed costing us time and money. Also they may also be reassessed the following year (but vague on this).

There is talk of a QS to sign off work but we are a tiny company currently and this is far from practical.

Contractor electricians cannot (it seems) sign off their own work despite having suitable qualifications and we can’t just locate a member of the relevant certification body and use them.

Have I got this right?

It's very simple. The person responsible for the quality of electrical installation work carried out by your company naturally needs to be an employee or principal of your company. If someone has been assessed on behalf of another company then that assessment can't logically carry over to your company. The nonsense isn't with this notion - the nonsense is with your business model.

A company that wishes to self certify needs someone to act as a QS

I f you employ a electrician,he can become your QS
If you don't employ a electrician,one of you two will need to cover that role

If there is no QS you can't register period

All you are then left with is finding a means of satisfying local authority or customer requirements
How you do so is straight forward,you contract the work out or get third party approval for the work that needs certification, the work is then inspected/tested by a registered company and they certify the work

You as a company will have no responsibility for assessments training or whatever

What should happen is that the electrical company you contract in should provide certificates for the work they carry out. If your company doesn't employ an electrician on the books there is no way for you to register with any of the certification bodies.
What is your business?

Following on from another thread on here, can you please help me with a fundamental issue regarding certification bodies. Bear in mind we are new to this sector but not new businesses.

You've been discussing this topic on forums for the last 8 months. Your original Business Plan should have identified that you have a lack of technical resource by not having a QS to satisfy the required legislation. To solve it will require £300+/- joining fee and a P/T employment contract with one of your S/E contractors - not a big investment for a new business, or are you under financed as well.
From your threads. I really think you could do with some decent business planning advice/mentoring to get the best out of your new venture.

FWIW I'm not sure a business with no electrical competence can actually join a scheme.............. surely they would need to employ somebody and have all the kit and insurances that every other registered company has.

Schemes allowing members to register and become listed, with no competence sounds very dodgy to me

Reply to Certification bodies - bit of help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net