Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Certification for commercial?? in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

hi folks,

Have recently started out as a self employed electrician in Scotland here and at the moment am not with Select or NICEIC (hoping to join next year).

Question is, do I need certain qualifications to work on commercial properties? From my understanding I realise that I cannot do EICRs for commercial properties as I'm not with one of the above groups, but does this stop me from doing other work? For example, replacing lights in a commercial property? Another job I have is for a company that has two temporary labs they have wired up and would like me to hook up/ test.

As far as I'm led to believe, as long as I'm an electrician (17th ed) and comply with the regs then all should be OK??

Thanks

2. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

You dont need to be registered for eicr commercially or domestically, unless its diferent in scotland.

3. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Nothing to do with commercial properties is it?

5. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Well you do need public liability insurance. You can do commercial work if you are suitably qualified you dont need to be a member of a scheme. If you do domestic you do need to be a member. If doing EICR you need personal indemnity insurance for £250,000

6. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

No, nothing like that. One of the businesses is oil and gas related and the other is a shop

7. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

Yeah, I've had my public liability insurance since I've started. Maybe England is different but in Scotland you don't need to be a member of a scheme to do work in domestic properties (unless it's a new build or extension).