Discuss Certification of a few different jobs. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If a customer asks me to do a few jobs. E.g. Add some spots, add a socket and put a fan in a bathroom. As the only job notifiable to the labc would be the fan as its in a special location. Would you MW all jobs separately or all as one EIC and then let the building control deal with what's what?

Depends on the level of testing you are going to do, if you are fully testing all the affected circuits then I would do an EIC for the lot, the notification is only applying to the fan installation and only references the certificate, the fact that there are other circuits affected is immaterial form a notification point of view.

You could do individual MEIWC for each job but it would probably take more time to do the paperwork than the testing.

Im with RB, seeing as though you're EICing the fan - you may aswell just add the sockets and lights to that - but then you'd have to test the full circuits properly.

Cash in hand for the first two and EIC the fan? :leaving:

Ok so if I were to just EIC the lot. And detail in the work description what circuits were where and what they were altered for would NAPIT (for example) only notify the one circuit needed ie the fan? Thanks for all your help.

What biff said a minute ago though...are you installing the fan from scratch, or you adding it to the lighting/shower or are you just replacing a dodgey one like-for-like...

MWC is for an addition to an electrical installation that doesn't lead to a new circuit. So you may not even need an EIC for the fan depending on how you're going to wire it...

Ok so if I were to just EIC the lot. And detail in the work description what circuits were where and what they were altered for would NAPIT (for example) only notify the one circuit needed ie the fan? Thanks for all your help.

you completely confusing the issuing of certificates with notifiying of special location jobs.
they are completely seperate entities
how many certs you write out has no affect on what napit processes to building control.

you completely confusing the issuing of certificates with notifiying of special location jobs.
they are completely seperate entities
how many certs you write out has no affect on what napit processes to building control.

No I'm not. I'm thinking hypothetically. I know they are different things entirely. I'm trying to understand how a registered scheme would process it.

You will notify your scheme that you have done notifiable work in a bathroom (adding a fan to a bathroom circuit).
You will tell them that this is covered under installation certificate number XXXX.
Your scheme will send the customer a building regulations compliance certificate stating that the electrical work done in the bathroom complies with the building regulations.
That is it.

There will be no consideration of what the competent person (you) has put on the certificate, as you are a competent person and have certified that it is done correctly.
If there is also non notifiable work on the certificate that is immaterial from the building regulations point of view, just as if you had completed a certificate for non notifiable works, Building regulations are not interested in that part.

Info apologise for my stupidness. I had it in my head the scheme would look at the certificate and deal with it like that. Silly boy. Competent person is responsible for making sure compliance and certificates are correct. You merely notify them about work not upload a full certificate. I started with the wrong information and built up on that. No wonder I was getting confuse. Thank you for making it clear.

Reply to Certification of a few different jobs. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net