Discuss certsure and others plans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MG201

-
Reaction score
Certsure, ECA and Electrical Safety First (ESF) have worked together to develop plans to raise standards across the industry. The trio are the driving force behind proposals to change the ways competence within the industry is measured. While the electrotechnical industry prides itself on a robust approach to competence and safety, and indeed

has an excellent safety record, there is always more that can be done. Driving up standards of electrotechnical work is a fundamental objective if the sector is to thrive in the years ahead.

As leading bodies in the industry, Certsure, ECA and ESF have worked together to develop a blueprint which we believe will ensure that only qualified individuals with the right knowledge, skills and understanding are deemed competent to undertake electrotechnical work. This approach will help to drive up standards, works for industry, and aligns with Government policy on technical education standards and competence.

We have put forward proposals to simplify yet strengthen entry requirements into the industry, and ensure consistency across all registration and certification bodies. This aligns with our thinking that all applicants to a scheme should be from one of two routes: the apprenticeship route, or the experienced worker route.

The proposals will ensure that individuals seeking to become a qualified supervisor or electrical operative undertaking periodic inspection must have the following:

• an electrotechnical apprenticeship (or proscribed alternative)

• a minimum of two years’ experience

• a recognised knowledge of the latest Wiring Regulations

• be well versed in inspection and testing electrotechnical installations

The proposal is fairly straightforward to implement for new applications. However, there remains a challenge for existing registrants. Our proposal is that there must be proportionate quality management systems, for new and existing registrants, in place for demonstrating business process and operative competence. This would need to be assessed in situ as part of the ongoing assessment process by registration and certification body assessors.

We believe that this proposal is the best way to properly ensure the competence of the registered organisation, qualified supervisors, and operatives undertaking electrotechnical work and provide the consumer protections that are required.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS Electrical Trainee WOULD END

Certsure, ECA and Electrical Safety First (ESF) have worked together to develop plans to raise standards across the industry. The trio are the driving force behind proposals to change the ways competence within the industry is measured. While the electrotechnical industry prides itself on a robust approach to competence and safety, and indeed

has an excellent safety record, there is always more that can be done. Driving up standards of electrotechnical work is a fundamental objective if the sector is to thrive in the years ahead.

As leading bodies in the industry, Certsure, ECA and ESF have worked together to develop a blueprint which we believe will ensure that only qualified individuals with the right knowledge, skills and understanding are deemed competent to undertake electrotechnical work. This approach will help to drive up standards, works for industry, and aligns with Government policy on technical education standards and competence.

We have put forward proposals to simplify yet strengthen entry requirements into the industry, and ensure consistency across all registration and certification bodies. This aligns with our thinking that all applicants to a scheme should be from one of two routes: the apprenticeship route, or the experienced worker route.

The proposals will ensure that individuals seeking to become a qualified supervisor or electrical operative undertaking periodic inspection must have the following:

The proposal is fairly straightforward to implement for new applications. However, there remains a challenge for existing registrants. Our proposal is that there must be proportionate quality management systems, for new and existing registrants, in place for demonstrating business process and operative competence. This would need to be assessed in situ as part of the ongoing assessment process by registration and certification body assessors.

We believe that this proposal is the best way to properly ensure the competence of the registered organisation, qualified supervisors, and operatives undertaking electrotechnical work and provide the consumer protections that are required.

Be good if it were to be Policed properly and robustly, so would this proposal do away with Domestic Installers then?

not exactly clear but niceic etc would fight to block it as it ends the cash cow that is Electrical Trainee training etc, 2 years min to test i wondered if that would mean 3rd party cert for all Electrical Trainee works. due to my current research i am reading and researching all the up to date and proposed legislation etc

i guess having the 2391 or equivalent will be enough to satisfy their requirements.

this should have always been the case anyway. i believe as it stands literally anyone can issue an eicr

"• an electrotechnical apprenticeship (or proscribed alternative)"

another course and registration fee to boost profits!
Agree what would the "proscribed alternative" entail? and who or what organisation would be responsible ensuring this was/is feasible.

Hope it happens and the sooner the better.

Schemes will Block this as it will wipe out 50 percent of their members or prospective members immeditly.
Agree it will be a financial loss to the Schemes, but they have bee operating with the current format for years, and as far as I can see people with little understanding of the consequences these training schemes have on our industry, what is needed if this is to make changes is someone upfront, not interested or guided purely for financial gain, so again how is this going to work?

You state our and we in #1 suggesting you are involved in this or are you citing a statement from the parties involved.

What and how will your proposal agree to a recognised knowledge of the Regulations? the latest updates because all that carp teaches you is how to read the book and more importantly bases the course on the latest new amendment or Regulation updates, more of a money making scam for whoever.

I agree but reading what they put out gives a insight into how they propose to make their next buck ,I’m looking at quality of works, eicrs frequency skills gaps etc not specific the this article , I just thought it was interesting to see diffrent bodies trying to push the powers that be to make changes in there chosen direction

Last edited:
No it won't do away with domestic installers, that scheme will still be needed by the thousands of electricians who only need registration for the purposes of part P.
Dave I was under the impression that the object of MG201's scheme/plan call it what you will/was is to put a stop to these ridiculous things like Part P qualifications, I don't know, not sure of the proposals MG 201 has in mind, he hasn't given any details as yet, so it was just an off the cuff question.

Dave I was under the impression that the object of MG201's scheme/plan call it what you will/was is to put a stop to these ridiculous things like Part P qualifications, I don't know, not sure of the proposals MG 201 has in mind, he hasn't given any details as yet, so it was just an off the cuff question.
the above is an article I found relating to the issue as previously said to me it reads of the 3 bodies mentioned in said article battling for government ear to push their own agenda over the others, I may be wrong but that’s way I read it

I don't actually see that these so called 'proposals' are going to change anything?

The only thing that might appear radical is the first bullet point. However, what is a 'proscribed alternative'. And whilst we on the subject of Electrical Trainee; I've worked with some of those who have funded their own training (and there's some on this forum), who I'd suggest are more competent than some of the rough as a badger arse apprentice trained 'electricians' I have the misfortune to work with, who quite frankly should not be left lose with a pair of side cutters. So lets drop this snobbish, I'm better than thou attitude. :)

Lastly @MG201, its good practise to cite an article or piece your are posting about.

the above is an article I found relating to the issue as previously said to me it reads of the 3 bodies mentioned in said article battling for government ear to push their own agenda over the others, I may be wrong but that’s way I read it
Where did you see this article.

in fairness, if this is only to do with the issuance of EICRs I dont see a problem with it (in theory). if the government is going to insist on landlords having an eicr done on a regular basis they should also be making sure they are done competently and thoroughly. it can only be a good thing if it does away with the drive-by eicr brigade (although that is probably wishful thinking)

Reply to certsure and others plans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock