Discuss Challenging Fluke on calibration issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I once (in another country) sent a Fluke thermometer to them for calibration. It came back with a Calibration certificate which showed 96 degrees at boiling point, ie 4 degrees out, and - 4 degrees freezing point also 4 degrees out.

I boiled my kettle with the thermometer aimed at the water and Behold! 100 degrees. I then did the same with ice stirring it in water. 0 degrees.

I sent them a really angry message asking this big international manufacturer what the hell they were doing and got a reply saying they would be down in my area, in a weeks time and can they visit my premises to resolve this.

Since I was working out the boot of my car at the time, I said I would meet them in town at a cafe. They arrived with a pile of kit and plugged in their fancy calibrator. 100 degrees and 0 degrees.

They looked surprised so I pointed out that their headquarters were 2000 feet above sea level and I was about 100 feet above sea level and this might be the cause. Did they not take this into account as I learned this in school.

They gave me a new calibration certificate with the proper readings shown. Baffled by science? I wept into my drink.

fluke are american. what do you expect? the 're usuallys a couple of years late (1917, 1941) never mind a few measly degrees.

Amazing, and yet according to their movies they won every war they've ever been in, on their own and Arnie rescued every POW in Vietnam.

Reply to Challenging Fluke on calibration issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I figured the general forum may be the best bet :) Thank you for taking...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice to help me troubleshoot my strange issue with my consumer unit/fuse board on which my RCD keeps tripping...
Replies
Views
I would like my plan checked by a professional. This project is a semi-open pavilion with a load center approximately 100 feet away. I am rating...
Replies
Views
Hi folks. Im a RECI contractor based in Co Sligo, Ireland . I was doing erroneous testing on a domestic board which gave me readings between 90V-...
Replies
Views
Hi Absolutely 0 knowledge of this so excuse language / terms / explanation. Electric only ground floor 2 bed flat ( 3 external walls) On peak...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock