Discuss Change of career at 50. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Whilst I work behind a desk I‘ve always been a practical hands on guy. I can decorate, tile, plaster, plumb, lay flooring.etc etc

Ive gain this knowledge through house renovations and maintenace of my property rentals

Ive always had one eye on the fact that my day job is a young mans game and hay ho at 50 I am now facing redundancy.

Last October I qualified to be a domestic electrician and have my level 2 and 3 and my 17th edition but I haven’t registered with an ECB.

I did these City and Guilds over 2/3 years of distance learning spaced by 6 weeks of onsite/classroom.

Because I did it without ever being “on the tools” I am in an uneasy situation.

I feel like you do when you first pass your driving test. Qualified and OK by yourself but to nervous to be a taxi driver, so to say.

My question is how best does the group thing I should get more experience and a portfolio for the ECB.

I could afford to work for free for a couple of months or be on minimum wage for 5 or 6 but eventually I do need to be earning proper money again.

Is this a stupid idea and can the group thing of a better one

Thanks

As with any new career you're going to be starting at the bottom - lugging stuff around, crawling around in lofts, pulling cables, chasing walls, sweeping up, making tea... All the heavy, unenviable and menial work, ie a 'young man's game'.

I'm struggling to see how sitting behind a desk can be a 'young man's game'; it's hardly reliant on physical ability and therefore non-age specific.

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate this with a fresh set of eyes.

Agree, I’ve worked the weekend to get a lighting job finished whilst the people were away and I’m knackered now - I’ve just got in, gonna have a long bath and go to bed, might watch Netflix in bed though!
That was changing trades at 48 for me (51 now) - however hard this is though, I’d rather it than behind a desk.
I certainly wouldn’t be starting the trade at 50, do you understand how physically demanding it is?

As with any new career you're going to be starting at the bottom - lugging stuff around, crawling around in lofts, pulling cables, chasing walls, sweeping up, making tea... All the heavy, unenviable and menial work, ie a 'young man's game'.

I'm struggling to see how sitting behind a desk can be a 'young man's game'; it's hardly reliant on physical ability and therefore non-age specific.

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate this with a fresh set of eyes.
Sparks mate (qualified or not) ain’t fun,I did in my early 40’s, take my word for it. If your finding desk work hard you ain’t gonna enjoy the building trade in the depths of winter:confused:

I certainly wouldn’t be starting the trade at 50, do you understand how physically demanding it is?
You are a complete wuzz. I did exactly what the OP wants to do and took the leap from salesperson to electrician at age 50. I went to night school to do C&G 2360 (as it was then) while working for myself and learning on the job. (This was a few years before the P thing was invented). I passed 2360 and then did 2391 and other stuff and ran my own electrican business for 15 years before marrying a very rich woman who now keeps me in the manner to that I would like to be accustomed. (the last bit is a joke btw).

Yes its hard work and the first few weeks you are asleep on the sofa at 8:3opm!
but, I used to have real bad back problems jumping on airplanes and sitting behind a desk. That all went away since I started out on the electrician career.

Go on, do it, its fun!!

I have worked in the building trade for 20 years on new build site work and never seen a sparky sweat, I am sure its different on the Domestic side where they are crawling through lofts on hot summer days.
Try lugging 50 sheets of soundbloc or fireline in while going up floors while ducking under scaffold at the same time and when you finish loading in, your next job is tacking a huge ceiling.

I have worked in the building trade for 20 years on new build site work and never seen a sparky sweat, I am sure its different on the Domestic side where they are crawling through lofts on hot summer days.
Try lugging 50 sheets of soundbloc or fireline in while going up floors while ducking under scaffold at the same time and when you finish loading in, your next job is tacking a huge ceiling.
Ha ha sparks don’t sweat! Sparks mates on the other hand........

Just be prepared to lug drums of cable all day and crawl through lofts on your knees. I’d also be prepared to have some youth ordering you about due to rank etc.

If the OP has been sitting at his desk all his working life, might just have a bit left in him. I on the other hand have been at it all my working life. nothing left. lol

Still at 50 you shouldn’t have to worry to much about the asbestos
If the OP has been sitting at his desk all his working life, might just have a bit left in him. I on the other hand have been at it all my working life. nothing left. lol
hes well rested then?

A labourer last week working for me started at 8 a.m. finished at 6 p.m. by 2 p.m. he was shot. Walking around like a zombie could not take intructions in, he was dazed. He is always telling about the kung fu he does. I said well I should charge you for getting you fit then, this is real mans work not your silly nembo pembo. Boss of one job decided to work with me for the day, it was sad... couldn't even lift his leg high enough to get up a ladder! It was a bit of fun though in a perverse way. He got to see that producing output consistently through the day takes a lot of energy and fitness. I am saying you will get fit if you stick at it and that is gold on its own. Sounds like you may be doubting yourself a bit? Get stuck in give it your best shot.

Reply to Change of career at 50. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock