Discuss Changing Pendant To Spotlight - What wires go where? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wilssy

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

DIY odd jobber occasionally change pendants and stuff at home when they look tired.
Ive decided to change the pendant in the kitchen for a 3 light spot light. It's been so long since I've done it I can't remember what wire gos where.
Ive attached pics, any help greatly appreciated :)Changing Pendant To Spotlight - What wires go where? pendant - EletriciansForums.net Changing Pendant To Spotlight - What wires go where? spotlight - EletriciansForums.net

On the original pic the black & blue wires are neutral. Red & brown wires are Live. The black wire with the red sleeving (and the red wire associated with this) is the switch.
By the looks of it, you will not fit all the existing cables into your new 3 way terminal.
You could buy yourself some maintenance free connectors and box. (Like Wago) and add the existing wires into this and come out with just the cables for the light.

Hi, thanks for your reply :)
It already sounds more work than I want to do and might explain why they were selling the lights off cheap at Argos :D

The majority of cheap light just come with the minimum connectors. Cost cutting.

Maybe someone on here will be willing to do the job for you. Shouldn't be expensive.

That light fitting looks very familiar.

I've heard of guys peeping at women before but never anyone checking out light fittings....

I came across a similar luminaire once, where the fixing bracket could be secured underneath the ceiling rose, therefore utilising the fixings, and its base was deeper enough, so the existing ceiling lid could be left in place, and the manufacturer even supplied marked flex that could be directly terminated into the ceiling rose.

Or did I just dream that up :smirk:

deffo a job for a wagobox (or similar) in ceiling void with a 3 core flex out to the new light. (just as spoon posted).

deffo a job for a wagobox (or similar) in ceiling void with a 3 core flex out to the new light. (just as spoon posted).

Yaaayyy I'm right.... Just wait till I tell the missus.....

you won't get your leg over for solving a lighting issue. flowers or chocolate work better.

you won't get your leg over for solving a lighting issue. flowers or chocolate work better.

Thought you only get flowers for the missus if you have done something wrong...

Thought you only get flowers for the missus if you have done something wrong...
christ. i'd need to buy flowers every day then.

christ. i'd need to buy flowers every day then.

I'm sure you are a wonderful bloke with joy just oooozing out of every orifice... :tearsofjoy:

Not sure I’d bother making a bigger hole for the Wago box though.

Could use one of these
Changing Pendant To Spotlight - What wires go where? upload_2017-11-9_16-31-51 - EletriciansForums.net
Ever so slightly smaller than a Wagobox :)

Would using wagos and putting them inside the metal of the new light touching ceiling comply? they are readily accessible for testing and inspecting.. after all we put them in back boxes and enclosures... would be no need for a MF wago box then either...

Reply to Changing Pendant To Spotlight - What wires go where? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock