Discuss changing size of main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea what costs are involved if you were to ask your supplier to increase the size of main fuse? Been on a job today and the customer has said she would like a shower installed. The property currently has a 60a supply the tails wouldnt need upgrading as theyre 25mm. Im just concerned that fitting a new shower along with the other circuits already present might be to much. I didnt have a chance to check the rating of the oven and electric hob that are currently installed but a scenario where these appliances are in use aswell as a new shower, and any other appliances running eg washing machine/dryer is quite likely. I just think if an 80a fuse could be fitted it would be better.

Call DNO tell them you want to know the fuse size get them to come out and check. Slip the guy a few quid and ask him to fit 100A. Job done.

or just bung one in yourself. oops, did i say that? must be the beer talking. :6:

chances of blowing that 60A fuse are as probable as raising the titanic.

I think with diversity you will find that worst case scenario is only a small short term overload.

Not enough to take out the 60A fuse.

And Tel did no such thing, his beer typed it while he wasn't looking :D

Loads of houses have a 60A fuse and happily run electric showers while boiling the kettle and making toast. As already said, it's a short term high load and even if you exceed 60A, the fuse won't mind for a short time.
Your call tho, as always.

Leave the fuse as it is. 60A is more than enough for the average household.

Micknew, why would a customer “grass you up”?

Out of interest how would the DNO know the fuse rating has been increased? Half the time they haven’t a clue where they supply, never mind what they’ve installed.

I can't think of ANY of my clients who would blow a 60A main fuse - 1 especially is a 5 bedroom house, with integral annex, pool, tennis court and loads of out door lighting!

Ill just reflect Tonys and Murdoch's post a 60amp fuse is fine (not sure how you know the rating in a legal context) but you would have to run the shower for many hours and you forget once any heating appliance like an oven is up to temp the stat controls it meaning its demand is intermittent and not constant.

Thanks for the replys, i just thought it wouldnt be a particularly good design if the installation was or could pull a load nearing the size of the main fuse, and if all the DNO had to do was simply replace for say an 80 or 100 it would be better even if a little over cautious.

One question would be , is the Ze low enough to take out a 100A service fuse in 5 sec's??
It's not always just a case of changing out a 60A BS1361/BS88 service fuse for a 100A....

Reply to changing size of main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net