Discuss Changing to 110v supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thelivewire

Evening chaps, wonder if you could give me a bit of advice. New member so go easy if I have posted on wrong thread!!!
Looked at a job today at a local golf club. The problem lies in the "green-keepers" section of the course. There is currently an existing 240v supply, fed via a 40a mcb, into a sarel box, which feeds a 3 way dis board, just a main switch, no rcd (!) and 2 circuits. I did not get a chance to have a good look but there are 2 13a S/S/O with flexes from 13a plugtops in the sarel box, running off in all directions (!) to feed 3 containers that have been adapted for lawn mowers and other grounds maintenance parafinalia.
It seems the 240 supplies some lighting, and some power within the containers. Now, this is all highly dangerous. So much so the local Health and Safety have been down and issued an ultimatum that the supply should be stepped down to a 110 volt supply, and in turn, to then feed any lighting and power requirements within the containers.
Apart from the sarel box, everything will, and at the moment is, exposed to the elements!!:eek:

My questions are as follows;

1) Is the 40a MCB supply ample enough?
2) What sort of tranny would you advise me to use?
3) Am I right in thinking the cable size feeding the 110v stuff needs to be increased due to the step down in voltage?
4) I assume a tranny can be left out in all weathers??
5) Cabling to lighting and power will be exposed?
6) Earthing arrangement?
7) Anything else anyone can think of??

Many thanks as this is going to be a MAJOR headache now the H and S have got involved.

thelivewire.

This whole get-up sounds terrible and dangerous, get a fully qualified electrician in there ASAP.
Stepping down 240v to 120v wouldn't necessarily make things any safer, so the H&S person is talking out of his or her arse.

What you need is a Consumer Unit set up to safely provide required power via correctly rated MCBs or RCBOs so that the power is interrupted in the case of any electrical faults.
Consumer Units are normally contained in some sort of waterproof building because water and electricity really don't mix!
Sounds like some sort of lash-up job has existed at the golf-course for far too long and it needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt or killed!

This whole get-up sounds terrible and dangerous, get a fully qualified electrician in there ASAP.
Stepping down 240v to 120v wouldn't necessarily make things any safer, so the H&S person is talking out of his or her arse.

What you need is a Consumer Unit set up to safely provide required power via correctly rated MCBs or RCBOs so that the power is interrupted in the case of any electrical faults.
Consumer Units are normally contained in some sort of waterproof building because water and electricity really don't mix!
Sounds like some sort of lash-up job has existed at the golf-course for far too long and it needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt or killed!
Totally agree, however this thread is 11 years old!

Have you noted how old this thread is?

Reply to Changing to 110v supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock