Discuss Charging 17ah jumpstarter with 3amp dc charger? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tara1234

Hey so I bought a jumpstarter that is 12v 17 ah and am using it to run my laptop in my room. I have no power in my room just in one room in the house so have been using this.

However the thing takes 34 hours to fully charge as it was supplied with a 500mah charger. I do however have a 12v 3ah charger that would charge the power supply 6 times faster. Will this be safe to use (I dont care about reducing the jumpstarters life span as I have 1 year warranty and dont expect to be in this building for more than 1 year).

Here is the jumpstarter: Phaze 4-in-1 Jump Starter - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Garage+Equipment-_-Battery+Chargers+&+Jump+Starters-_-594335&_$ja=tsid:60494%7Ccgn:GoogleShopping%7Ckw:594335&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xlqiatqlx&istBid=tztw&_$ja=tsid:35522|cid:344535484|agid:25437357364|tid:aud-80976661069:pla-301360592855|crid:89797547524|nw:g|rnd:2440599388323592010|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjw3KDIBRCz0KvZlJ7k4TgSJABDqOK7uCAD5KI5vxJvmP8rSXY5EfuMRzkcPPclYc7yxGq9pBoC0UDw_wcB

the starter pack will have a sealed lead acid gel battery.it needs to be charged from a stabilised 13.8V supply. using a standard car battery charger will kill it.

These things are designed to give a short sharp high current discharge to jump start a car, after which it would still be 80% charged and maybe take an hour to fully recharge. If you're using it for a laptop supply you're probably almost completely discharging it before recharging, hence the long recharge time.

Using it like this will almost certainly destroy the batteries in a few months and fast charging will almost certainly reduce its life even more. Using any other charger than the one that's built in is highly inadvisable unless it's a fully intelligent charger with temperature sensing etc like an Optimate.

That's a power supply, NOT a battery charger. It's intended for powering items not battery charging.
Should you decide to use it, it may well overheat and cause a fire.
It will quite probably destroy the power pack in such a way that it will void your guarantee.

Reply to Charging 17ah jumpstarter with 3amp dc charger? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock